Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format]
Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format]
Before everything - thanks apnea board, you've helped me alone the road. It's very valuable!

So, first thing first. I'm using Airsense 11 with EPR 3 full time, pressure 12~20 now. 

Two Main issues I'd like to solve:
1. N30i with frequent leak/unconsciously pulling off the mask issue. That'll bring subsequent awake, and disturbing sleep. 

2. Smart watches reporting awake during night - I know it's not as accurate as EEGs - but the time it shows conforms with the data OSCAR/Airsense is reporting(there'll be multiple events when "awake" logged by wearables. Sometimes I'm awake enough to memo down time I'm awake, and it also confirmed the fact. This issue will happen independently, even without any leaking.

Solutions tried:
1.a Already tried different looseness/tightness to N30i, am using taping technique from temple to chin on both sides of face currently.

Especially this one: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Jeffy1958

It still cannot eliminate enough leak though - when the leak happens long enough, I'll be awake in the next 10~20 minutes.

2.a
I have no idea, I tried increase pressure every 10~20 days, but to this day (65th day), it's still not working well.

Sitrep:
In the first 20 days, I kept my pressure at 8 ~ 20, and this is what I got:
1.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment

Apparently it's as ugly as it can be. One typical day during this period:
2.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment

After that, I increased the min pressure to 9, this is what I got:
3.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment
4.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment

You can see that it's only marginally better. Subjectively, I did not feel any better compared to previous settings. The only thing about the pressure increase is that I have slightly lower AHI.

So in the last 10 days, I tried to significantly increase the low pressure to 9 to 12 - very aggressive and not recommended by the apnea wiki - but it yielded good results.
5.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment
We're observing much lower AHI.

However, the awake issue is yet to be resolved.
One typical day, where I fell asleep at 01:46am, and woke up involuntarily at 06:15:
6.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment

During the sleep, the watch reports from 0238~0327 I'm awake, and from 0428~0501 I'm awake. I DID WAKE UP and able to memo down one awake time, which is 0450.
7.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment

For the 0450 awake, I suppose it's due to a major leak and multiple CAs before 0450, causing me to awake.

For the 0238 awake to 0327 awake, this is the graph:
8.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment
TBH for my ability, I'm unable to pinpoint my awake reason during this time period. I can only observe the pressure gradually increasing, and multiple OAs appearing - but the major leak only happens after the watch reported awake period, that means it's not a mask fitting issue. I'm using standard autoset algorithm.

This is from 0428~0501 reported awake period:
9.png - link not allowed, pls check attachment
I can't pinpoint the issue here either - besides the apparent 1min 40s leakage, the pressure is stable and the leak rate is also stable. However there's a lot of CA events happening, with frequent Flow Limit - it also conforms with how my watch reported, that is I was semi-awake during this period. 

To recap my questions:
1. How can I do to improve the random / short, but significant leakages, that'll increase events and ultimately make me awake? (Taping already used as previously mentioned in the beginning of the article. Nasal cradle size is also measured/tried between s, m, sw.)

2. For the supposedly awake without leakage - I've raise two examples above. How do I solve them? Will increasing pressure AGAIN from 12 to something like 12.5(past 10 days avg) or even 15.3(past 10 days 95% pressure) likely to solve this issue?

Thanks so much, kind netizens from apnea board!

P.S. for some reason, I cannot put zip as attachment nor links. 
www dropbox com/scl/fo/00pfxjfvhol4kljr6nhlv/AOgBX0hv16kDb3DW6Rc8T0U?rlkey=kpucruve6kmmcdy293v6rozv1&st=kvq8c06s&dl=0

Here's the link to my dropbox if it works...manually add in the dots in the link between www dropbox com please.
Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format]
Please follow these instructions for Organizing a chart, taking a Screenshot, and using the Attachment Feature to post that Screenshot.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...pnea_Board
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format]
Sorry I did not read the rules well..thanks for not deleting my post.

Following the rules and instructions:
Here are the two typical day of 08/27 and 09/09 I mentioned in the original post, with correct (hopefully) oscar screenshot and correct zoom.

If you're interested, and willing to help in detail, here is the corrected version PDF with all the 9 zoomed in images - I believe that I zoomed the correct time and data, and there's necessary info shown on the Oscar screen.

The PDF should have better readability.

.pdf   Apnea board question post(backup).pdf (Size: 601.08 KB / Downloads: 4)

Again, thank you apnea board and all the admins!
Post Reply Post Reply
Did I provide anything wrong?

If there's any suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated!

==
As an added context, I started using pressure 12, upped from 9, already for 4 days.
In one of the night, I got jolted awake midnight. It's not because of outside sound/light/movement, so I guess it's due to the pressure induced awake. Prove is that I had a giant/long burp soon after the awake.

Not that uncomfortable, but I wonder if this means anything. The other nights with pressure 12 is also not that uncomfortable.
Because my AHIs in the 9 pressure was from 11~7, and for the pressure 12 it is now 5~3, very stable, so I have no idea if I need to change anything back.

Thanks, any kind of reply is appreciated very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible that your OSCAR chart indicates patterns of clustered events from Positional Apnea. This would be caused by thick or several pillows forcing a chin tuck position. This chin tucking kinks your airway externally. If you suspect this, you'll either need to get a thinner pillow or physically block the chin tuck with a proper sized soft cervical collar. If this type of Positional Apnea is applicable, there's not enough CPAP pressure to prevent this. It's an external physical cause, and needs an external physical fix.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's back off that maximum pressure down to 12cm, and go back to minimum pressure set at 9cm.

For now, raising the pressure does more harm than good. It's causing an increase in CA's. Dave is correct in his assessment of some Positional Apnea, where you are sleeping in a way that's cutting off your air. This results in "clusters" of apnea. It's not excessive, but it's there.

Higher pressure usually won't correct this, so take a good look at your sleep position and if you're tucking your chin into your chest area and what may be causing that.

Once you can correct the Positional issue, we can look at pressure adjustments, if needed.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Note: Higher pressure in some folk can result in more leaking. Work on your mask fit.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

For myself, I prefer nasal pillows, which ultimately means I use tape to control leaks. It does take some getting used to, but it is very effective.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  53 days in, what does my data say? FrontRanger 3 126 09-14-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: FrontRanger
  Can someone help with AHI score for MyAir? It changes throughout the night awake. Joeyk74 1 122 09-12-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  What us going on here two days same settings? Ohiosnoring 4 212 09-09-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Ohiosnoring
  Pressure when awake antlane 2 156 09-06-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: antlane
  11 days in and on my fifth day of non-stop headaches callisto9 10 533 08-27-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: callisto9
  Who tells Medicare I am using my new CPAP in first 90 days? silverchief2 3 261 08-17-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help me find correct pressure? Wwvx 4 254 08-15-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.