Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Needed to Understand Arousals
Help Needed to Understand Arousals

Hi Everyone, I am a new bipap user and need help from wiser minds to determine the cause of my heart rate spikes / arousals / awakenings most nights. Quick background I got a sleep study done last year that showed mild SA (AHI 8.7), I used a mouth appliance in the last year with mixed results, AHI dropped to 1 but rdi was 5.2 and rem rdi was 8.9. Few months back I stopped using the mouth appliance because of jaw issues and it was not helping with upper airway problems. My sleep doctor got me an Aircurve 10 vauto that I have got nicely acclimatized to and am able to keep it on all night. My current settings are epap - 4, ipap - 8, ps -4 and trigger set to medium.
I continue to struggle with nightly HR spikes and awakenings and am trying to figure out my data on Oscar (last nights chart attached). My doctor is very slow to respond and I am not sure how much help I will get there. I am very new to Oscar as well, have seen a few introductory videos and understand the basics. This is a wonderful community with lots of data but overwhelming for a newbie. Any help will be much appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Needed to Understand Arousals
Welcome

You are hitting both of your max epap of 4 and max ipap of 8 in your median (50th percentile).  It would probably be wise to raise both your epap and ipap.  PS of 4 may be ok.  

But first try lowering you pillow height, possibly side sleeping instead of back sleeping, or as a last resort if the OA clusters continue:  a soft cervical collar.  

These 3 things my enable you to keep the very low pressures you have right now 4 epap and 8 ipap.  Post some more OSCARs after you try these thing.  

You have clusters of OA's.  That is most likely positional apnea.  Here is some reading and tips to help stop it:   
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
You are having positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks staceyburke and jay51. I will try a soft cervical collar and a lower pillow and then change my Epap to 5, Ipap to 9 and keep PS same to 4. I will post additional OSCARs. Learning every day!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHI but many arousals, crappy sleep. snewmy 3 142 10 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] New to ASV and Wanting to Understand Pressure Settings Better kbeards 5 196 09-11-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Help me understand Oscar report and optimize CPAP therapy Oliverwoods 1 155 09-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New user, support needed please Katie.williams 8 306 09-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [CPAP] New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing crentiist 4 216 09-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: crentiist
  Help needed with OSCAR data and pressure SleepyCPAPa 2 190 09-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Cleaning advice needed for Resmed p30i AshSF 2 170 08-28-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.