Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
Curious to understand how epr works specifically on flow limitation?i see alot of people talking about adding epr to decrease flow limitation guess I don't see how reducing expiratiratory is supposed to help decrease flow limitation can someone explain ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
It's the pressure differential between exhale and inhale, this action makes your CPAP a bilevel. And EPR will act just like pressure support in the bilevel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For most people, EPR makes breathing more comfortable too, as it allows longer exhalation, which is more natural breathing for most folks.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to Dave and Deborah’s responses, I have been pondering that when there are physical issues in the airway dropping pressure on exhalation makes it easier to exhale which reduces the flow limitations from pushing against too much pressure. Too little pressure differential and there is no improvement, and too much differential allows you to expel CO2 too completely which causes different issues. The trick is to find the correct amount of pressure and pressure support, which requires experimentation.

SleepRider is very knowledgeable about this topic and may want to add something we missed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I saw a load of CA's with EPR set to 3, changed it to 2 and saw an improvement, and I dont realy understand why..
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense thanks all for your reply
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitation due to poistion ? obstructedairway101 6 157 8 hours ago
Last Post: obstructedairway101
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 274 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 365 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101
  [Symptoms] More Tired With Less Flow Limitations sowo123 3 251 10-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 328 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 169 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 318 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.