Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs?
Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs?
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the most effective CPAP wipes to eliminate bacteria and germs from my equipment. With so many brands available, I'm unsure which ones truly work best.

If you have any recommendations on which ones can eliminate bacteria and germs, please share them along with why you think they are effective at doing so.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs?
I suggest cleaning your mask with unscented liquid hand soap in lukewarm water. It can reach all parts conrarily to the wipes. If you are particularly concerned about disinfecting, look for products containing CTAB surfactant, i.e. Cetrimonium bromide or Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide. There are several mouthwashes containing it as well. Unfortunately, they come together mostly with essential oils, which you do not want to use on plastics. But, if you find some without these oils (menthol, thymol, etc.), you can use them. Fluorides are ok in them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always used OTC standard baby bum wipes. No issues so far.

For a deeper cleaning, which I do maybe 3-4 times a year, I do what G. Szabo recommends.
Post Reply Post Reply
None. 

No wipe, nor washing, "effectively eliminates bacteria and germs" - best you're going to get is reducing the population, and when you put the mask on your face there's a bunch that live there on your skin, so just put the idea of "eliminating" or "sterilizing" aside with various other fibs marketers or your parents might have told you. Attempting to sterilize your skin also doesn't work, and isn't a great idea, either. Wash it, and don't be under the mistaken impression that you can or should sterilize it.

Actually sterilizing most things is hard. Sanitizing is both easier and generally sufficient.

Actually sterilizing most plastics is well-nigh impossible. Sterile plastic items show up sterile from the factory in other plastic to keep them that way. If they need to be sterile, they are disposed of and a new one removed from it's protective packaging. A CPAP/APAP machine does not need to be sterile. If your mask is dirty, wash it. If your intake filter is dirty, wash it or change it depending what type it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the suggestions and help everyone, really appreciate it!!!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 7 479 09-20-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP mask wipes Big Guy 10 647 07-11-2024, 07:32 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  anyone with allergic reactions to mask wipes? sleepingbetterinFl 6 362 04-23-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 376 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,293 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999
  How to eliminate a long OA cluster with CSR Roy289 3 700 01-28-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap? theredheadsaid 6 1,309 08-19-2022, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.