Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to limit data sharing
How to limit data sharing
Hi all,
I am new here and trying to understand the data sharing that apparently happens with a CPAP.  I have not been prescribed a specific machine yet, but my medical provider seems to work with ResMed Airsense 10 and 11 models, which look like they have built in modems with automatic upload to a cloud server.  My question is, how do I limit data sharing to ONLY my medical provider?  I'm not sure I want to share with the DME or the manufacturer and am surprised that I haven't found an "opt out" option. My insurance company says they have no interest in monitoring my compliance and I expect to buy the machine rather than rent.  I would appreciate any thoughts on this.  Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to limit data sharing
I don't think you can since resmed's cloud hosts all the data, doctors just pay to get access to it. the only way would be to turn on airplane mode (on the 11) and no one would get your data, you can still use the SD card to share data with your doc for therapy purposes and you just wouldn't get updates until you turn airplane mode off.

You can also buy a Card2Cloud version of the Airsense10 which has no modem. but it is discontinued so it's getting harder and harder to find, it's also usually cheaper.

ResMed's CEO is on the record saying the most valuable asset of resmed is all the patient data they gather, so they make it extremely hard to not send it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are that concerned simply remove the modem. It is an easy procedure that takes no more than a few minutes. You can then take your SD card to your doctor along with your laptop and run OSCAR to show them compliance. Not every doctor will accept OSCAR, so you may be stuck with the ResMed cloud if you want insurance to pay for things. 

The simplest thing to do is pay for your CPAP equipment and supplies out-of-pocket. No one then can see your data except those you choose to share it with e.g. this forum or others.
Post Reply Post Reply
my doctor has resmed software that is analogous to oscar which can read the SD card and produce various reports. this is a big clinic that is very captured by resmed. as an aside they won't even consider looking at oscar output. so it might not be the case that disabling the modem results in a loss of analytic capability for the clinic.

one of my airsense 10s has a modem and it nags every time it wakes up to turn off airplane mode (at least while therapy is not running), but i've never accidentally turned it off due to the nag screen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 10:58 AM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: If you are that concerned simply remove the modem. It is an easy procedure that takes no more than a few minutes. You can then take your SD card to your doctor along with your laptop and run OSCAR to show them compliance. Not every doctor will accept OSCAR, so you may be stuck with the ResMed cloud if you want insurance to pay for things. 

The simplest thing to do is pay for your CPAP equipment and supplies out-of-pocket. No one then can see your data except those you choose to share it with e.g. this forum or others.

they made it very hard to remove on the 11.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might have to wait until after your compliance period to alter the device. The DME tracks compliance using the modem, and a DME is generally required if an insurance company is to pay for your machine. Though, now I read from your comment that the insurance company doesn’t require compliance, which seems very unusual.

You could return that unit, and have the doc prescribe the version without a modem. Then, buy it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the ideas.  I will talk to my medical provider and see if they have any objection to me sharing data via the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply and for the suggestion to remove the modem. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound easy and I run the risk of damaging the machine. I don't think I should have to take that risk. It's not so much a “concern” as the belief that companies need to respect consumers' right to privacy and make their policies transparent. They could easily approach this like “Sharing your data helps us make a better product,” and explain what personal data they collect, and if/how it's shared beyond the company. Then have a way to opt in or opt out. Instead they behave like compliance officers! I've never seen anything like this. They are a manufacturer, not my doctor—why do they have this power?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 11:21 AM)joeblough Wrote: my doctor has resmed software that is analogous to oscar which can read the SD card and produce various reports. this is a big clinic that is very captured by resmed. as an aside they won't even consider looking at oscar output. so it might not be the case that disabling the modem results in a loss of analytic capability for the clinic.

one of my airsense 10s has a modem and it nags every time it wakes up to turn off airplane mode (at least while therapy is not running), but i've never accidentally turned it off due to the nag screen.

Thanks for the information!  Airplane mode may be a good solution. I'll ask my doctor if they can work with an  SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 11:35 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: You might have to wait until after your compliance period to alter the device. The DME tracks compliance using the modem, and a DME is generally required if an insurance company is to pay for your machine. Though, now I read from your comment that the insurance company doesn’t require compliance, which seems very unusual.

You could return that unit, and have the doc prescribe the version without a modem. Then, buy it.

Thanks!  I need to talk to my medical provider about the role of the DME, which is not clear to me.  If I have problems with use of the machine, like with a pressure setting or excessive leaks, do I report  these to my doctor or the DME?  What is an equipment issue (presumably for the DME) and what is a medical issue for my doctor?  I checked the website of the DME that my medical provider uses and their policy is that  if the machine is purchased (which I intend to do) it's unreturnable after the first use--though presumably they would replace it it's defective.  This whole DME system seems bizarre and controlling to me.  Since my insurance company doesn't require compliance, why should an equipment provider?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shouldn't flow limit always precede OA events? NoddingHacker 2 539 07-24-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Pablomc
  Sharing my observations on refreshing old f30i masks erouting 9 229 07-21-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Question about sharing sleep data Velderes 4 260 06-04-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 14 3,392 04-29-2024, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Cam12
  Flow Rate and Flow Limit Graphs ovmeadows 21 3,616 04-28-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  flow limit of 1 rhishi 3 329 04-25-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: rhishi
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 740 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.