Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’m new! Humidity issues…
I’m new! Humidity issues…
Hi all. I’m new here and looking for help. I’ve been using my Airsense 10 for 4 years now. No problems. It saved my life. I went from over 60 apneas in one night for my overnight test to around 1-3 per night. I use it every day. For 4 years I’ve used a nasal mask with no leaking. I’ve had it set on 4 for humidity and used only the lowest level of water. I put the heated tube on 70. It was all very comfortable and I had no dry mouth. For 4 years. Now, all of the sudden, horrible dry mouth. I called and said something is wrong. They said “too bad, it’s out of warranty”. They said to raise the humidity and tube temp. So now I have humidity maxed and tube temp maxed and I’m still getting dry mouth. But I’m not getting overheated from the tube (which used to happen above 70) and all the water is gone in the morning and I’m maxing the water too. I just don’t understand how the machine could all of the sudden change so much. The only thing I can think of, since the humidifier is working, is that somehow the tube isn’t getting heated? I just don’t understand. Insurance said to go buy a used machine. Small rant: why would they sell you a medically necessary machine and not cover it for the 5 years you have to keep it??

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I’m new! Humidity issues…
I've been getting really bad dry mouth, I believe because I've been sleeping with my mouth open and the air is blowing through my nose and out. Any seasonal allergies making your get plugged up at night sleep with your mouth open?  Also, you might try a different hose, maybe it's failed?  Sorry if this isn't very helpful, I'm only 5 months into using my machine. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along very soon. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
After being at this for a while perhaps you have started mouth breathing. Post an Oscar chart and we should see if that is happening. I didn't mouth breathe at first, but that changed, and it could have changed for you too.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, mouth breathing. Post an Oscar, just to make sure settings are good to go, and you aren’t reacting to those. The mouth breathing can be addressed. Settings first.

Also, while you’re working on settings, dial the humidifier back down to where it was. Settings first. In my experience, the humidifier is not much of a factor in resolving dry mouth. The only way to avoid dry mouth is to keep the mouth from dropping open.

Also, please fill out your avatar info exactly, exact mask, pressure, exact label on your unit, etc. This way, folks can see what you’re working with at a glance. You will get help specific to your set up, without folks having to dig for info.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are now mouth breathing you may need to use mouth tape.  I didn't like the idea at first, but since I found the right tape I love it!  Lots of people here like Cover Roll Stretch tape.  I tried it, but I much prefer Theraband Kinesiology tape, as it fits well to my face and is more comfortable, but it is pricier.  It's worth it to me.  You can get both of these from Amazon, and I'm sure other places too.

For me, I have to use tape that is 2 inches wide, cut to about 5-1/2 inches.  Otherwise, I still leak.

You can also get a dry mouth without your mouth being open.  I use and really like Xylimelts.  They are small discs that stick to your gum and tooth, and slowly dissolve, keeping your mouth moist.  You can buy these at many stores.  I buy them at Amazon because they sell larger and cheaper quantities in bottles.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my data from last night. I went back down to a 4 for humidity and 70 for tube heat. (That's what I have done for the past 4 years with no issues.) I still got horrible dry mouth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your leaks are not high enough to cause dry mouth.  Try the Xylimelts. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidity help please Officialdee 2 36 3 hours ago
Last Post: Officialdee
  Assistance with wife's CPAP issues Hammer641 6 162 09-01-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AitFit F20 With Dreamstation - AAV Issues kymmitsu 9 3,259 08-28-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 25 2,439 08-19-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  'Mental' issues restricting machine use riteoh123 7 371 08-16-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Unknown sleep issues/responding poorly to cpap Apnea4862 1 189 08-14-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New on CPAP, flow limit/central apnea issues QuoteUnquote 4 314 08-06-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.