Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New on CPAP, flow limit/central apnea issues
New on CPAP, flow limit/central apnea issues
Hi everybody  Smile

I started CPAP about a month ago after a few years of horrible fatigue. Took me 8 months to get diagnosed; doctors kept blowing me off because I'm young and not overweight. They classified my apnea as "mild-severe" because of how much my AHI fluctuated during REM vs regular sleep; regular was 13, REM was 31. Almost all hypopneas, with only a few centrals and almost no obstructives. I sleep on my back 75% of the time and side 25%. Doctors blamed the apnea on my double-deviated septum and the size of my tongue vs my throat

My cpap and initial F30i mask made mornings a hell of a lot easier and lessened extreme fatigue episodes, but I was still feeling very tired throughout the day. I did not sleep through the night once with my F30i. Switched to the F20 mask, which is SO MUCH more comfortable and less leak-prone. Started investigating on here to see why I'm still so tired; Turned on EPR to 3 after seeing advice on these forums, and it halved my flow limit numbers. However, the current problem is that I'm still having flow limit problems (I think), the number of central apneas I'm having has gone up, and I'm still tired! Last night, I tried on a Velpeau cervical collar, but I think I got a size too big or I wore it wrong because the numbers seemed the exact same.

I've attached 3 Oscar screenshots: 8/4 has the F20, EPR on, and my 'cervical collar'. 8/2 has F30i and EPR. 7/30 has just the F30i, no EPR. I would have added 8/3 but couldn't because of the image limit. On that night, I used the f20, no 'cervical collar', got an Ahi of 1.5, I can post if necessary.

Thanks for this board's help! Sorry for giving my life story. Didn't want to skimp on details.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New on CPAP, flow limit/central apnea issues
Someone will be along to check settings. It’s not at all unusual to take some weeks for your body to get used to xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
What size FFM are you using? It looks like it is the wrong size.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F30i is a small and my F20 is a medium. How would I go about checking if it's the wrong size?

Also,  I put my cervical collar on right last night. Here's the OSCAR; had central apneas up to 27 seconds long which was unusual.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you take a two minute screen shot of two or three of the CA's.  It is possible that you are just holding your breath after an arousal.
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 50 1,784 6 hours ago
Last Post: RVSleeper
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 69 8 hours ago
Last Post: npolite
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 39 1,713 09-10-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Treatment] Persistent Hypopnea and Unclassified Apnea Issues with BiPap Settings behtaaash 7 270 09-09-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 271 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,508 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Treatment Emergent Central Apnea mikesj 13 602 09-09-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.