Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Think I Know What's Waking Me
I Think I Know What's Waking Me
Hey all, I hope it's okay that I'm starting a new thread.  For the past week, I switched from the Evora full face mask to the P10 nasal pillows with mouth tape.  I've also switched to a fixed pressure of 10.4cm.  Both of these changes have made things much comfortable but I've still been very tired and out of it during the day.  But I think I have figured out at least one reason.

There have been several times I have woken up because as I fall asleep, my tongue relaxes, air rushes into my mouth, pushes against the tape and starts leaking.  Last night was kind of a mess because this happened a few times and I tried to switch back to my FFM but couldn't sleep so I went back to the pillows and tape.  

Does anyone know of a solution to this?  A chin strap and cervical collar won't help because my mouth can still open with those.  Maybe there's something I can put behind my lips and still tape to block the air?  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  I am just so frustrated that I have finally seemed to figure out what works and it has created a new problem.

Here are last night's charts for reference:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Think I Know What's Waking Me
A couple of thoughts. Once your tongue is in place, give a little swallow to create a bit of suction between your tongue and your soft palate. And try practicing this throughout the day. For me, that was what really made a difference. My tongue now just naturally goes into this position when my mouth is closed, both awake and asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2024, 12:18 PM)Dormeo Wrote: A couple of thoughts.  Once your tongue is in place, give a little swallow to create a bit of suction between your tongue and your soft palate.  And try practicing this throughout the day.  For me, that was what really made a difference.  My tongue now just naturally goes into this position when my mouth is closed, both awake and asleep.

I have been practicing this throughout the week. It doesn't come natural yet but hopefully soon. Thanks for the tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that for me, it is important that I use good tape that is 2 inches wide, and that I cut to about 5-1/2 inches long.  If it's narrower or shorter I still leak.  Lots like Cover Roll Stretch tape.  I like Theraband Kinesiology tape as I find it more comfortable, even though it is pricier.  I'm sure others are good too.  But I for sure need the wide and long tape.  Maybe you do too. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2024, 12:52 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: I found that for me, it is important that I use good tape that is 2 inches wide, and that I cut to about 5-1/2 inches long.  If it's narrower or shorter I still leak.  Lots like Cover Roll Stretch tape.  I like Theraband Kinesiology tape as I find it more comfortable, even though it is pricier.  I'm sure others are good too.  But I for sure need the wide and long tape.  Maybe you do too.  Smile

Yeah, I've been using cover roll stretch tape but I just ordered Hypafix which is apparently the same stuff, just stronger.  I thought about also getting the Vcom but reviews are pretty mixed on it and it's a non-returnable item.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, 

I now use Hypefix also. I found instead of just putting the tape simply covering your closed  mouth,  tuck your lower lip under your upper tip, then tape over.

You get a sort of double seal..
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2024, 03:18 PM)Expat31 Wrote: Hi, 

I now use Hypefix also. I found instead of just putting the tape simply covering your closed  mouth,  tuck your lower lip under your upper tip, then tape over.

You get a sort of double seal..

Thank you! I will try this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it a superior product to CoverRoll, but difficult to take off. 

However Deborah found an ingenious way using Milk of Magnesia. 

Unfortunately for me, not available here in France, neither for love nor money. 

Done the rounds of chemists. Rien. Available of course by importing via Amazon, but paying ridiculous prices just for miniscule quantities, plus shipping....just a rip off.

I now just soak it with hot water, wait about 10 minutes, and slowly peel it off. 

Bit of a pain first thing in the morning.

But a truly excellent seal.

You should be OK in tbe US getting Milk of Magnesia if you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2024, 12:23 AM)Expat31 Wrote: I find it a superior product to CoverRoll, but difficult to take off. 

Do you have a beard?  I heard it's better than Cover Roll for that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm looking at last night's charts and from the breathing patterns, it definitely looks like the leaks are what's waking me.  I'm hoping the stronger tape works but is it possible that I could benefit from the V-Com?  I know there are a lot of mixed thoughts so I wanted to throw it out there.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early waking, unrefreshed sleep, UARS? WinnerFieldman 1 79 Today, 02:00 AM
Last Post: WinnerFieldman
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 14 301 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Embeeous
  Waking up around midnight, 2AM and 3AM midnighttwoam 14 676 09-17-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP gabitzu 6 224 09-15-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Waking times - what are your thoughts? Blubarb 2 154 09-14-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Symptoms] Waking up 15min after falling asleep - new insights McPhearson99 17 2,312 09-02-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 14 2,262 08-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: MCS2014

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.