Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can't sleep without using CPAP
I can't sleep without using CPAP
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could ask the expert users of the forum a question I have.
I’d like to know if any of you have experienced what I have been experiencing lately, in some way related to my Sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed in 2010 with severe obstructive apnoea, and I was prescribed a CPAP at 10 mm pressure. At that time, I did not notice any symptoms (I was not tired, I slept without problems, etc.), but the person who slept with me detected that I had episodes of not breathing. I quickly adapted to the CPAP, although I did not notice that I slept better or worse. My level of rest was good. I even had no problem using the CPAP for naps.

But, over time (years later), I began to realize that if I fell asleep without the CPAP, I would wake up after a few seconds, with a feeling of pressure in my chest and desperately looking for air. Is it possible that I have become so accustomed to using a CPAP that I cannot even close my eyes if I am not connected to the device?

On the other hand, since I was prescribed the CPAP, I have been losing weight, until I have lost almost 110 pounds. At first, my doctor told me that the pressure would have to be adjusted. And that's when the nightmare began. If I lowered the pressure, I couldn't sleep, waking up as soon as I closed my eyes with discomfort in my chest, like terrible fatigue. If I raised it, I also had chest discomfort (in addition to aerophagia) due to excess pressure. I decided to get an A-CPAP, and it seems to have given me some relief from those unpleasant sensations, although even with the A-CPAP, if I try to rest on my back, the "close my eyes-throat closes-chest gets tired-I wake up" pattern begins.

This morning, I had an MRI of my left shoulder. I didn't sleep much last night and I was tired. I fell asleep and woke up in the MRI tube about 15 or 20 times, praying for the torture of sleeping and waking up choked to end. After the test, I spent two or three hours with my chest almost painfully tight and tired, as if I had run a marathon. I think it was due to the effort of my lungs and the strain on my chest trying to get air through a closed throat.

I have a stent in my heart, but I don't have any heart problems now that could cause these symptoms. In fact, I had a thorough check-up of my heart (ekg, X-rays, blood tests and cardiac ultrasound) a week ago and everything is fine .

So, I repeat my questions: It is normal for this to happen after so many years of using CPAP? Have I become so acclimated to CPAP that I can't even close my eyes if I'm not using it? Having lost so much weight, shouldn't I be much better?

I appreciate in advance your answers, advice or experiences you have had in relation to this. And I apologize for my English: I don't know if I can be understood well using Google Translator.

Regards and thank you very much again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't sleep without using CPAP
If you post some Oscar charts we will be much better able to help you.  They will show us a great deal about each night's sleep.

Good luck with getting better therapy and comfort! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
My weight loss of 100 lbs made no difference in my apnea. I don’t know if that is typical or not but it is my experience.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
wow, trasto, a lot of your post reads like it could have come from me.

i, too, won't comfortably fall asleep without the CPAP machine. but i can chalk it up to years of knowing i would get elbows in the ribs, etc from whomever the bed partner at the time was. it's kind of a ptsd thing.

i will zonk out watching tv sometimes, but since i'm seated, i don't think the snoring is that much of a problem.

once i'm fully horizontal, i know that the snoring will soon come, and i constantly snap to on my own. even if i'm by myself.

and i've lost 45 pounds in the last year and a half. it makes no difference. i've had apnea since early adolescence, when i was 6'0" and 145 pouinds. . i'm sure of that.

i'd say ignore the Dr and set the pressure where it is comfortable for you. but you can post some charts here for more detailed advice than i can offer.

good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
How have you guys lost so much weight, just through cpap treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2024, 11:00 PM)Dodies Wrote: How have you guys lost so much weight, just through cpap treatment?

for me, no. 

it was lifestyle changes after having had to get stents a year and a half ago. i basically gave up bad carbs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your responses and support.

I posted some charts a few days ago and Old Stevie helped me out.

I sleep with tape over my mouth and a soft collar, ever since I read that some of you were doing it. I try to sleep on my side, but I always end up sleeping on my back (due to my chronic back pain). I wake up several times a night.

I'm attaching a picture from tonight. I know that if you don't go over five apneas per hour it's not considered pathological, but still, I feel like something isn't working as it should.

What I still don't understand is why I wake up within seconds as soon as I close my eyes.

Thank you so much again for everything.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
What are stents?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2024, 06:48 AM)Dodies Wrote: What are stents?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedu...c-20384761
Post Reply Post Reply
If you lost 110lbs, I would recommend another sleep study. That will tell you if you still need the PAP therapy.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,735 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Sleep Apnea CPAP/OSCAR/OSA/CA trish1028 1 223 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 317 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  New to CPAP, sleep Study had me at 90 events an hour jcpose 2 231 08-15-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: jcpose
  Unknown sleep issues/responding poorly to cpap Apnea4862 1 219 08-14-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Sleep paralysis every time I use my CPAP DoRaCh79 5 2,416 08-01-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  New to CPAP - Noticing big breath pattern during sleep. SnoozEm 4 281 07-31-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.