Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I captured THE ROSETTA STONE moment, please help decypher it
Question 
I captured THE ROSETTA STONE moment, please help decypher it
This is 2 screenshots only, I just had a nap, and they show what happens EACH single time:
the inhale cycle gets interrupted and instead of continuing into exhale, its like a SECOND inhale! 
In real life this is like a sudden gasp/jerk that throws me out of sleep right at sleep onset, so as soon as my brain is drifting to sleep this happens and i am awaken.

You might ask you probably have a rare neurological desease and you might be right, it has been alsmot 4 years on this forum and i'm posting crazy questions BUT I have found out lately a glimpse of hope:
There is a "magic" EPAP/PS combination that prevents this from happening, so i can ENTER into sleep and stay asleep, still there is a weird spike that keeps happening in the breathing but it is a sharper inhale/exhale cycle that does not always wake me up.
you can review my prvious post here : http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-Analysis

Now, that "magic" EPAP/PS combo keeps changing, 2 weeks ago it was EPAP:7.6 and PS 4.4 it worked for a whole 10 days, if i change the EPAP to 8.4 or less i get the sudden gasp at sleep onset, if i increase it still the smae result i get the gasp, if i keep it steady at 8.6 but lower the PS to 4.2 i get the gasp if i increase it to 4.8 i get the gasp!
so it works, 10 days then suddenly, sleep onset i gasp 1, 2, 3 itervals till i surrender and start fidgeting again with the number, now it's EPAP: 8.6 and PS.4.4 worked for almsot a week as well then stopped.
i tried RAMP as well, set it for 4.6 epap 45mn to see if i will sleep before the combo works, spasmed at ramp as well.
( i was taking clonazepam and Keppra as well so this might has an effect i'm not sure).
then the magic combo (after 5 hrs of trials in sleepless night) became EPAP:6.4 and P.S: 2, this worked for only 2 nights then stopped.

then today nap i tried same combo and you can see the suudden incomplete breath cycle in the graph.
my other numbers are: trigger : very fast , cycle medium, timax 2 and ti min 0.8

So, the machine HAS something to do with whats going on, it can provide releif somehow, i'm just clueless on how to keep it consistent.
P.S: leaving IPAP open doesn't seem to help either, and sleeping WITHOUT the machine also doesn't work as i gasp on sleep onset guaranteed.

I'm not looking for curing cancer, or googleing any "parasomnias" doctors are cluless as well, i'm lookign to see if you guys here can help me wit hthe Aircurve V10 auto setting to prevent this cycle interruption at sleep onset.

thanks
[attachment=40468]
[attachment=40466][attachment=40467]
RE: I captured THE ROSETTA STONE moment, please help decypher it
clearly this is bothering you but I don't see anything unusual in those charts. I wish mine looked as good.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to suggest that you update your profile. It currently shows that you're using an AS10 Autoset with SleepyHead.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(03-05-2022, 08:30 PM)sheepless Wrote: clearly this is bothering you but I don't see anything unusual in those charts. I wish mine looked as good.

Thanks! If you could help me with the sleep I will frame them and gift wrap them for you!
(03-05-2022, 08:33 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to suggest that you update your profile.  It currently shows that you're using an AS10 Autoset with SleepyHead.

ok done.
Given the accompanying pressure burst looks like a wimpy cough. More like an "ahem" (real coughs and sneezes would bury the pressure waveform).
(03-06-2022, 04:44 AM)Rubicon Wrote: Given the accompanying pressure burst looks like a wimpy cough.  More like an "ahem" (real coughs and sneezes would bury the pressure waveform).

It feel like a spasm, sudden spasm or collapse and remembered at sleep onset so maybe muscle collapse? Lungs throat? Not sure but I took a video endoscopy of years ago if you wantbtot see it in my previous threads 
Now that burst in pressure I'm thinking to higher epap pressure and NOT use PS, that's all I can think of for now,  it happens in exhale cycle, so maybe the pressure difference between inhale and exhale increase the "collapse" ?
(03-05-2022, 08:30 PM)sheepless Wrote: clearly this is bothering you but I don't see anything unusual in those charts. I wish mine looked as good.

What about that mask pressure spike? Is that him coughing? Or is the machine jacking up the pressure momentarily?
Here is what happens IRL. That was captured also at sleep onset:
https://youtube.com/shorts/wM-QPT-27Ao?feature=share
The flow-rate trace looks like a sigh. A cough involves exhalation, so I don't think that's it. A little on-line sleuthing suggests that sighing during sleep is common. What isn't common is the wake-up problem.

In the flow-rate graph, I see normal sleep breathing, then the sigh, then several breaths with long-ish pauses between them, then what MAY be a resumption of sleep breathing, or maybe just drowsy breathing, followed by a big ugly wake-up breath. The elongated pauses are due to the way deeper breathing can wash out CO2, which reduces the drive to breathe until the CO2 level builds back up. I suspect the big ugly wake-up breath is what you're describing as a gasp.

None of that really suggests a solution to me, though PS can also encourage wash-out of CO2. Possibly less PS would help you stay asleep or drowsy after the sighs.

I'm puzzled: why does PS go to zero over there on the right of the graph?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-captured Waking Events Lfmichel 8 889 10-28-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Lfmichel
  Aha moment S9 VS Intellipap 2 dfstarman 2 1,264 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Last Post: dfstarman
Sad Oh no... that moment you realize mymontreal 10 2,299 01-12-2017, 01:25 AM
Last Post: mymontreal
  Sleep apnea can have consequences... Wow moment. retired_guy 8 3,623 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [CPAP] about captured data courtroom74 5 6,398 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Last Post: JJJ
  Filling the PR System One Humidifier; a Homer Simpson Moment greatunclebill 4 4,470 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: iSnooze

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.