Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have a brick CPAP, need advice on how to potentially exchange
I have a brick CPAP, need advice on how to potentially exchange
I was recently diagnosed with mild OSA (AHI 9.5) after a home test, and after a titration study, I was given a CPAP. I've been using it for about a month with no complaints. I read online about using OSCAR to analyze my CPAP data so I downloaded it and put in my SD card, only to find out that "this CPAP device does not  record detailed data". After doing some reading on here and the wiki today, I now know that I have a brick.

I'm a bit confused about how the term "DME" is used here and the wiki is a lot of information, so I thought I'd inquire here about my situation. My experience with my sleep doctor has been satisfactory. He works at a sleep center with a few other MD's and a PA. I was seen by a different provider at each of my appointments, which really made my care feel impersonal. When I saw him to go over my home sleep study results, he recommended a CPAP. After the titration study I went back a few days later to pick up the CPAP. I hadn’t done any research on machines, I just assumed that they would give me good equipment. I saw the PA this time, and she went on her spiel about how the CPAP works and how refreshed you feel with it. Then the tech came in and showed me how to use it. 

I wasn’t given a prescription for my CPAP, I’m assuming the doctor has it, so idk the specifics of it. I used insurance and paid for the rest with my FSA (~$340). I use it every night so compliance isn’t an issue. I guess my question is how can I get a non-brick CPAP? I also switched my insurance a few weeks ago, so I have a blank slate. How should I proceed?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have a brick CPAP, need advice on how to potentially exchange
Hello, You list a Resmed AS 10 as your machine. That’s not a brick , that’s the preferred machine.
You’re fine, you can put a sd card in the slot and it will record data. Your machine is compatible with Oscar.

Now if you have something different than what you list, you just may have a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Defining DME, Durable Medical Equipment, this is equal to medical supplier. You do not want one where the doctor owns a portion or has conflicting connections to the DME.

How to get the best CPAP? Tell the doctors office you want "ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet". Request this to be added to the script verbatim, and request inclusion of patient choice of mask, followed by D.A.W. which is dispense as written. The DME cannot substitute with DAW on there.

When doctor asks why, explain that you'd like to be as comfortable as possible when using CPAP therapy, and the AutoSet being Auto adjusting will be more comfortable. Between you and Apnea Board, the AutoSet is more capable and will grow with your CPAP needs way above a static single pressure CPAP.

I forgot... Request your full, detailed sleep study, titration test, and a copy of the script. US HIPAA says you can get it and that no isn't the acceptable answer to the reasonable patient request. If denied, file a complaint with the medical board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
trillogic,
If you have a AirSense 10 Cpap, it does not record detailed data. This machine will only record summary data.  

See the list in the following link.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...d_Machines
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2024, 02:16 PM)Nightynite Wrote: Hello, You list a Resmed AS 10 as your machine. That’s not a brick , that’s the preferred machine.
You’re fine, you can put a sd card in the slot and it will record data. Your machine is compatible with Oscar.

Now if you have something different than what you list, you just may have a problem.

It's the CPAP, not the Autoset, so I do have a problem lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2024, 02:17 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Defining DME, Durable Medical Equipment, this is equal to medical supplier. You do not want one where the doctor owns a portion or has conflicting connections to the DME.

How to get the best CPAP? Tell the doctors office you want "ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet". Request this to be added to the script verbatim, and request inclusion of patient choice of mask, followed by D.A.W. which is dispense as written. The DME cannot substitute with DAW on there.

When doctor asks why, explain that you'd like to be as comfortable as possible when using CPAP therapy, and the AutoSet being Auto adjusting will be more comfortable. Between you and Apnea Board, the AutoSet is more capable and will grow with your CPAP needs way above a static single pressure CPAP.

I forgot... Request your full, detailed sleep study, titration test, and a copy of the script. US HIPAA says you can get it and that no isn't the acceptable answer to the reasonable patient request. If denied, file a complaint with the medical board.

I'm visiting them next week for a follow up so I'll be sure to ask. I'm not sure how I'd justify wanting to be more comfortable if he asks me to explain though.

I had to ask for my sleep study results and visit note, which was strange to me because I'm used to getting copies of notes and test results after visits with other doctors.

And also, back to DME, the doctor I received my CPAP from would be the supplier, right? So you're saying it would be better to have the script and go to a DME supplier directly?
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's talk practicality. You got screwed by the DME who dispensed the lowest cost CPAP in the Resmed line. I have not seen this happen in several years. Solutions are to ask your doctor for Rx for Auto CPAP and try to get this unit exchanged. That will be resisted everywhere, but you can get the Autoset if you will benefit from it, and your doctor might agree since he can't see your therapy results either. A month ago, we could have pointed you to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Card to Cloud for $359, but that deal got discontinued. Talk to your doctor and ask if he intended that you should have a device he cannot monitor or assist you in optimizing. Get it swapped for the Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider said everything while I was writing essentially the same thing.  Follow his advice.  I'm praying that this all works out for you.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2024, 05:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let's talk practicality. You got screwed by the DME who dispensed the lowest cost CPAP in the Resmed line. I have not seen this happen in several years. Solutions are to ask your doctor for Rx for Auto CPAP and try to get this unit exchanged.  That will be resisted everywhere, but you can get the Autoset if you will benefit from it, and your doctor might agree since he can't see your therapy results either.  A month ago, we could have pointed you to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Card to Cloud for $359, but that deal got discontinued.  Talk to your doctor and ask if he intended that you should have a device he cannot monitor or assist you in optimizing.  Get it swapped for the Autoset.

I have a feeling he might brush me off, what should I do in that case?

(04-24-2024, 05:28 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Sleeprider said everything while I was writing essentially the same thing.  Follow his advice.  I'm praying that this all works out for you.  Smile

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If this is an all in one doctor and sleep study lab and supplier, they're selling you what is least capable to you at likely the same price as the far more capable AutoSet, also with the "savings" of the cheap machine passed on to them not you. You have to decide if you like being ripped off. And if the doctor was the one that handed you the basic CPAP, this is your setup. Be certain your doctor benefits more than you in this monopoly. This smells like a conflict of your best interest.

Myself, I would do this ASAP: FIRST THING get your copy of the CPAP script and sleep study.

Next, I'd return their basic CPAP, call your health insurance customer service to ask for a list of nearby in-network DMEs for CPAP. Call that list to find a supplier that will work with you, research these places for decent reviews, then go to the best option, using the script to get the AutoSet.

Follow-up with your primary care physician if they treat you well, to provide your CPAP compliance consultation. Any doctor can help with CPAP not just this current questionable scam artist.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 217 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
Sad [CPAP] Seeking Advice for Friend Struggling with CPAP Compliance Sarin 2 287 09-26-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sarin
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 207 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 262 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  [CPAP] New CPAP user looking for optimization advice rococo.orchid 6 332 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 266 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Still fatigued with CPAP - looking for advice Zallomallo 7 362 08-31-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.