Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have developed a strong and scary dizziness
I have developed a strong and scary dizziness
Hello. For the past year I have been breathing more and more through my mouth when I sleep. I need surgery for a deviated septum and turbinate reduction due to allergic rhinitis. Recently I have developed sometimes strong/scary dizziness that comes and goes. I visited my doctor and he says it must be that I am having oxygen deprivation, although my AHI is not that bad, I usually always have between 5 and 7 AHI, and a few events of central apnea as well. 

The doctor says that my case is rare, that he doesn't know how much I will improve if I have a nose job, that breathing through the mouth is not good. I've already looked for cases like mine on the internet, and it seems there isn't much. If you can advise me on anything or give me an opinion on anything I would greatly appreciate it. 

Have you heard of cases like mine? Has the dizziness resolved after nose surgery? I have hardly had any headaches or weakness (I can run right now in the park) but the dizziness prevents me from doing so. Thanks to everyone who helps on this forum.

*I don't add a sleep graph because I don't have a micro SD card for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have developed a strong and scary dizziness
I would set up a (finger) oxygen recorder and use it overnight to ensure that your oxygen saturation is low. 
Hyperventilation (high oxygen saturation) can also cause dizziness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you describe the dizziness more?

Is this happening in bed or throughout the day?

Does it interfere with driving?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2024, 08:04 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Can you describe the dizziness more?

Is this happening in bed or throughout the day?

Does it interfere with driving?

Hello. Dizziness is of various types. The most typical is when I pick up something from the ground or when I bend down. Lately I also get them when I first put on my mask while start sleeping or when I get up from bed to go to the bathroom. I can drive, dizziness would be most likely when I move my head down or to the side suddenly.
Post Reply Post Reply
A pulse/Oximeter would be a good choice for eliminating Both oxygen and pulse related issues.

There could be a blood pressure drop with position change.

Or it could be those little crystals in your inner ear bouncing around. I had issues with that, there is a procedure for correcting that, Bob and Brad the physical therapist, have two videos that show the maneuvers to get the crystals back where they belong. My PCP actually showed me both procedures and then told me I could do the procedures at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lBU64YN6nI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S4CbuN6QA

Because I had taken a nasty fall a couple of days earlier the Doctor thought this was the most likely cause. The second procedure, Epley, is what fixed mine.

Now there are some very serious medical conditions that I did not mention, that can cause dizziness, so you should get checked by your PCP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2024, 04:25 PM)Abrecaminos Wrote: The most typical is when I pick up something from the ground or when I bend down. Lately I also get them when I first put on my mask while start sleeping or when I get up from bed to go to the bathroom.

I was thinking blood pressure. Have your heart checked, EKG, whatever they think necessary. Keep hydrated. I get this dizziness worse when I don’t drink enough (water).

If you ever faint because of this get serious about getting a doctor that will have you checked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to those who commented on my case. I will explain my case a little bit I hope it helps someone.

After visiting another doctor I concluded that what I had was just what UnicornRider said, my dizziness which is better described as vertigo, was occurring due to an ear problem (little crystals in the inner ear moving) and not due to apnea or mouth breathing.

When I have had a bad night and I have a headache and mental fog due to sleep apnea I have sometimes gotten a little dizzy. But when you have an ear problem like me (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) it happens that when you lower your head or put it in a position other than vertical it gives you very strong vertigo. 

This vertigo is horrible and you may feel like you are fainting, but it is not as bad as when everything is spinning, which has sometimes happened to me on episodes of hypoglycemia (I am prediabetic), when glucose drops suddenly (similar to when someone falls asleep very drunk and the bed spins). 

Dizziness/vertigo is a very ugly feeling and can show other more serious problems, so we have to learn to identify it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a terrible ride in my recliner, the whole world was spinning, even though I knew I was safe, I held on to the armrest for my dear life., the family said my eyes were bouncing back and forth like a serious game of pong. I have always enjoyed roller coasters and other thrill rides. But did not enjoy the vertigo from those little crystals being out of place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Literature says that vestibular disorders are typically not caused by cpap use and that benefits if cpap use out weigh the dizziness or spinning. But I think I need to disagree. I have used a cpap for about 10 years now and for the last 3 years the sensation of a stuffed right ear, water accumulating in my right ear and spinning and wobbling has gotten significantly worse. I have a neck injury that is no doubt a big contributor my my problem but I am confident that the cpap is also part of the problem. Just having the extra weight of the hose pulling on my neck all night is an issue. Far worse is the sensation of a dysfunctional eustachion tube.Three days ago I went cold turkey & stopped use my CPAP..So far so good, much better
Post Reply Post Reply
IME @msdailey…if you use a hose hanger, the hose won’t tug at you. Also, your mask headgear could have pulled your jaw back, causing ear balance problems, since the jaw joints are next to the ears. That has nothing to do with CPAP therapy. You may just need a different mask.

Back to the OP. That business with the vertigo sounds scary. Stay safe, okay?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 5 590 07-20-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Sad [CPAP] Developed Aversion to CPAP!? OMCHamlin 20 894 06-14-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: OMCHamlin
  ResMed airsense 11 strong odor RockyBob 3 407 05-16-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: RockyBob
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 4,104 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 521 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,491 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  [CPAP] CA Events and Morning Dizziness gold3n 3 635 09-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: gold3n

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.