Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm finally ready to try a full face mask
I'm finally ready to try a full face mask
Up 'til now I have been using nasal pillows, and then taping my mouth shut to eliminate mouth leaks. I'm tired of doing that and want to finally try a full face mask.

Leaking is my major concern with a full face mask. Too much surface area to keep a good seal I guess. Fortunately there have been some advancements in full face mask designs to minimalize the surface area. Two examples of this are:

Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full face mask
ResMed AirFit F30i

Both of these designs keep the sealed area around the mouth, and off the bridge of the nose.

Has anyone found this to be an effective approach?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm finally ready to try a full face mask
I have the F30 and love it! It takes some time to get the straps tensioned correctly but once I did it’s been leak free for the most part. Just small leaks that have no impact on therapy. I tried the Dreamwear full face also but found that I couldn’t stop the leaks. The F30 is a much better design imo. 

One of the most important things is making sure you don’t have any excess facial oils before putting it on. A quick wipe with witch hazel does the trick for me. Good luck
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2020, 10:44 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: I have the F30 and love it! It takes some time to get the straps tensioned correctly but once I did it’s been leak free for the most part. Just small leaks that have no impact on therapy. I tried the Dreamwear full face also but found that I couldn’t stop the leaks. The F30 is a much better design imo. 

One of the most important things is making sure you don’t have any excess facial oils before putting it on. A quick wipe with witch hazel does the trick for me. Good luck

Many people like the F30. Have you considered trying the F30i? That would move the hose off of your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the AirFit F20 and F30. I rotate them back & forth. Both seem to work well for me, although I do tend to prefer the F30. 

I intend to get an F30i the next time I'm due a mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Fisher & Paykel - Simplus and am happy with it.

I also was provided with the ResMed Airfit F20 but never opened the package.
I got rid of it when I realized that the F&P Simplus was working fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had MUCH better results with the F30 compared to the Dreamwear FFM. The Dreamwear leaked badly at my chin.

I do prefer the P30i pillows mask now, but the F20 or F30 are still my backup choices.

My skin is very oily though, and wiping with alcohol or witch hazel only helps briefly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I plan on buying it today croweater
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be an outlier- I have not had success with either the F30 or F30i- too much of a leak especially around the nose. I sill use the full face conventional mask with either silicone or foam and have minimal leaks. Nasal pillow and taping your maputo or strapping you mouths shut has never made a lot of sense to me but what do I know?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you already use pillows, a hybrid (F30/DreamWear) would probably be a good choice.

It really comes down to personal preference between the two, or three with the F30i. Unfortunately you just need to try one and see how it works.

If you can get one from a DME that will allow a trial period and then return it, that would be a good approach.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2020, 11:27 AM)goodn Wrote: I must be an outlier- I have not had success with either the F30 or F30i- too much of a leak especially around the nose. I sill use the full face conventional mask with either silicone or foam and have minimal leaks. Nasal pillow and taping your maputo or strapping you mouths shut has never made a lot of sense to me but what do I know?

I totally agree about strapping or taping your mouth, for a variety of reasons, and taping is absolutely out of the question for me.

The F30 helped me transition from mouth breathing at night to exclusively breathing through my nose with a pillow mask. During the day, I diligently practiced the "tongue tuck" technique to the point that I can now open my mouth (while using pillows at bilevel 14.4/10) without losing air, and even talk or sing (badly) with minimal, controlled air loss. I did wear a Snore Eliminator collar at night for a while, but now I don't need a collar, tape, or straps.

The F20 leaks badly for me. My skin is oily, and just as I get to sleep I'm awakened by mask farts. Repeat all night, no matter how I clean my face or adjust the straps. The F30 was better, but I still struggled with leaks. The P30i isn't perfect (I really need an Extra Large cushion, which isn't available), but it's what I get the best sleep and fewest leaks with. Admittedly, i never tried mask liners.

Also, with the F20, I must breathe through my mouth because my sinuses close up within a few minutes when using it. With the F30, I breathe primarily through my nose, but do struggle with congestion. The P30i does the best job of keeping my sinuses open.

We're all different. I do think many would benefit from practicing the tongue tuck or other exercises to improve muscle tone, regardless of mask type.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 9 134 7 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Finally have Oscar and want to make sure I am doing CPAP right! Danno220 6 247 10-06-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 11 2,158 09-29-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: tiredguy1
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 19 1,642 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 223 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  My dad's first full night data, is it concerning? (many CAs) EveryBreatheUTake 4 315 09-22-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: EveryBreatheUTake
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 455 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.