Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread
Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread
Hello All,

I am now just passing a month with Resmed AirSense 10.
My AHI value has been improved since the first night with CPAP, but the fatigue after sleeping is getting worse.

Every morning, I am frustrated with Leak value of 20~40 and AHI value between 5~10 whereas my diagosed AHI value was over 60.

In the meantime, from OSCAR, I found that the Leak value is raising almost every 90 or 120 minutes, which seems related to Side sleeping.
I am sleeping on the front but turns to side sleeping. Every morning, I am awakening with Side sleeping.

I am using Nasal mask, never tried other types of mask.

Could kindly give me advice on how to achieve the better performance with Side sleeping?
Whenever my Leak and AHI value was so high, I felt bigger back & waist pain than usual.

Thanks for your advice and sharing epxerience on this issue in advance.

Regards,
Jay
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leak and AHI Peak during Side sleeping.
You should share the Daily view of your nights sleep.  You can organize your charts as in my signature.  With that people can give you a much better idea of what is going on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,
Base upon staceyburke's advice, I added Screenshot of OSCAR on June 13, 2023.

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed  ***
Images can not be inserted directly into a post or hosted from a personal computer.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for my mistake on adding image.
Let me leave the message again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Large Leak and AHI Peak again.
Hello,
Let me summarize on my situation first :
- I prescrived on May 08 and began to sleep with Resmed S10 from May 09.
- My AHI was 64.4 on prescription and now down to near 5.
- My doctor prescribed the Preasure value = 14, and the agent set the pressure value 13~14.
- My CPAP agent provided with Nina nasal mask from Air liquid and Resmed S10 for Her.
- To free from face mark and heavy wet sleeping, I tried to loosen Mask from the face. I thought it was reasonable base upon AHI value.
- When I found OSCAR software and checked my value, I was frightened about Leak value. TT

35 days journey summary :
- Frist couple of nights, I woke up 1~2 times, and sudden big leaks during the night every 90~120 minutes.
- First two weeks, it was AHI = 2~5 base upon my condition. I was fascinated at that moment.
- I am feeling great improvement by CPAP, since there was no more sudden black-out during driving, work and watching TV after lunch or dinner. 
- Every morning, I was up & down by myAir app. It was painful.
- At that moment, I found "Apnear Board" and found OSCAR. After installed, I found my Large Leak varies from 3~10% and Leak rate was relatively very high than others.
- Now, I had decided to improve Leak rate by setting changes. EPR level 1 or 3, Tighten or Loosen Mask belt, Humidity level.
- When the weather temperature raising, I felt itching on my nose. I have to correct the mask position several times every night. 
- Therefore, I changed Humidity level and Hose Temperature level as well. It seems there was no improvement on Leak rate.
- When I increase EPR level = 3, Leak value becomes slightly down about 2~3, but Leak rate seems too high. Even worse, my AHI values increased over 6 or near 10.
- When I tighten Mask belt, there was no awake during the night because of Large leak, but now I could see Silicon mark on my nose. TT
- According to my doctor, although AHI vale improved dramatically, still I have to contol the value 

Questions:
- Do you have any experiene and review on AirLiquid Nina nasal mask as attached? It has "Quit Flow Exhalation Port" to help breathing out and minimising noise, but results in residual leakage on my case. Everytime, I could feel the air flow on the frint of the mask.
- What is the positive of negative impact by EPR level increase as 3 from 1?
- As you might see my two OSCAR screencaptures, my AHI value keep increased just before wake-up on the morning. Is it normal?

My rental agent says, "Do not worry about Leak rate and just focus on AHI value".
From my point of view, whenever AHI valus is high, Leak rate is relatively high. Because of large leak, I have to wake up and change the mask position every night. It was annoying. Also, whenever I came across other's near Zero Leak rate value, I was so surprised. TT

Please help me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
[split] 1 Week on CPAP - advice or thoughts?
To add more information, let me attach the screenshots focusing on the bigh spike situation as attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
Jayhyouk Oh,
I have merged your recent threads as they are on the same subject.

Going forward, please keep your therapy questions and charts to this one thread.  

This makes it much easier for others that may want to advise to see your history in one place.

I have also renamed this thread to: Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread

Thanks!  Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread
Apprecaite it. OpalRose..
Post Reply Post Reply
Sudden AHI value peak just before Wake-up
Hi,
I have been sleeping with Resmed AS10 since early May.
It has been enjoying the improved sleep quality and no more sleeping during long driving.
My pressure setting was 13~14 during the first two month.
I was struggling with Large leak and high Leak rate. 
Med : 15.2%
95% : over 40%
99.5% : over 60%

From July, my therapy doctor suggested to change 6~10 to improve Leak rate.
Med : near or lower than 10%
95: near 15%
99.5% : less than 30%
Now, I do not wake up to change the mask wearing and position.

Also, my work is inside and outside job. 
After outside job, I have to stand on the site a whole day and shall walk over 10,000 walks.
Now, it feels tired on the night.
But, I feel better than before with CPAP.
Therefore, I could accept some snoring and high AHI after outside job.

By the way, I noticed that AHI value has been rapidly raising one or two hours before morning wake up.

Is it normal?
Could you give me some advice to improve this?

Thanks.

Jay

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden AHI value peak just before Wake-up
Look at the events, they started with a Cluster of O events. A cluster of events show you that you had positional apnea.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes. You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway. Have you changed your sleep position? Sleeping on your back? Using more (or new) pillows? These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway. Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

I have a link in my signature for collars. Please take a look at it. It shows people without collars and the same people with collars- huge difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,155 4 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 66 2,991 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,275 5 hours ago
Last Post: fudo
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 0 32 6 hours ago
Last Post: dang71
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,635 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 445 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,115 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.