Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows
Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows
I have been using the Brevida nasal pillows for almost a year with no real problems.  I use a chinstrap and put a strip of tape for sensitive skin over my mouth.  My numbers ( I have a Luna, so I can't use OSCAR) look very good.  Sometimes I have a dry mouth and sometimes a stuffy nose.  but it hasn't been too much of a problem.  However, the latest thing is that I wake up in the middle of the night with boluses of air accumulating in my mouth and I have to let them out of my mouth.  I have tried sleeping on my sides, using the technique of sticking my tongue to the palate, etc.  Nothing seems to help.  Any ideas of what is going on and what I can do.   I can't go to the full face mask because I have tried several and they all leak around the mouth.  Apparently, I have a rather narrow chin and lower face.  Even the small ones leak like crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows
I can relate to this problem, and it's not that hard to resolve. First of all, you need to be able to control the positive pressure enough to restore your mouth to an unpressurized state without breaking therapy. Since you've been at this for a while, I assume that is not a problem, and you are able to speak and even sip water while under pressure therapy. If not, those are good skills to master and we can talk about it. When I feel air leaking into my mouth and I'm having trouble resisting it, I find if I can support my jaw by pulling a corner of my pillow between my shoulder and the back of the jaw, that works to keep my mouth positioned where I can resist the air pressure. It's not that common I have the problem, but when I do, that gives me some relief.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks, I will try that.  I can, yes, sit up and sip water while the therapy is on.  Talking is not easy.  It shoots out of my mouth if I try to talk, but I can.  I also have an issue with air going down into my stomach.  any comments on that?  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just practice with the talking. The flow of pressure from your airway or throat into your mouth is controlled by a combination of breath control and the back of the tongue. You should be able to open your mouth and still block off the pressure, or partially block off pressure. During inhale is easier, but during exhale is how you learn to control air pressure an speak. Eventually you will own the pressure rather than it owning you, usually with some comical noises. My wife and I both use nasal pillows and can talk under pressure, so if you live with an understanding person, use the opportunity to get good at it, and pretty soon you will talk normally by controlling the exhaled air with only a slightly nasal affect.

Aerophagia arises from a weakness in the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), and there is not much you can do with that other than keeping pressure below the threshold that forces that gate open. Aerophagia often improves as patients adapt to therapy, changes in head/neck position and learning to swallow without including air, and that is where sipping water through a straw while under pressure gives your conscious mind practice, that can transfer to the unconscious mind.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Palmtrees

Just to add to what Sleeprider said, sleeping on your left side also reduces aerophagia due to how the stomach is oriented in the abdomen, works for me anyway. Another trick I used early on in therapy was to build a small incline with pillows from my midline up to my head so I slept in a comfortable slightly inclined position.
After a few months of adjustments/training and using Sleepriders straw sipping exercise daily for all beverages aerophagia is a thing of the past for me. I have to get really wonky in sleep position now to have it happen.

Good luck! Keep at it, that's how we get good at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tape too.  Air in the mouth does not happen to me often, but when it does I manage to remove it without removing the tape.  I push my tongue hard against the roof of my mouth and then exhale hard through my nose.  Try it next time it happens.  Hope it works for you too!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try that!  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sipping beverages and talking while the pressure is on.  Trying to figure out how that will help.  I do already sleep on my left side and on an incline.  What fun this all is!  Oy! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try that!  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sipping beverages and talking while the pressure is on.  Trying to figure out how that will help.  I do already sleep on my left side and on an incline.  What fun this all is!  Oy! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,129 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 10 1,994 09-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 14 2,191 08-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: MCS2014
  [Equipment] F&P Nova Micro nasal pillows mask carnuntum 2 220 08-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  P10 Nasal Pillows to F40 Airfit Full Face Mask Settings? stevesleep 3 207 08-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Stop mouth leaks with a boil and bite mouthguard? ttrani01 5 324 08-10-2024, 11:39 AM
  Identifying mouth breathing in data? Is it an issue? (PLUS an experiment) DiddyWolf 4 317 08-08-2024, 11:43 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.