Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Change - Big Difference?
Mask Change - Big Difference?
I posted recently about an evening's results with LOTS of CA events and 3 CSR events:  

----------------------------------
Mask: P10 nasal pillows
AHI:  9.68 (@ 9:24 hrs)
CA:  76 events
OA: 2 events
H: 13 events
CSR: 3 events (41min, 36 min, 20min)
Leak:  Ave ~10 or less most of the night, 3 LL events (mouth breathing?)
Flow Limit:  minimal to none

Last night, I went back to my Evora hybrid full face mask and saw much improved results: 

Mask: Evora Full Face
AHI:  0.61 (@ 8:13 hrs)
CA:  4 events (at least a couple looked like w/a position change)
OA: 1 events
H: 0 events
CSR: 0 events 
Leak:  0
Flow Limit:  minimal to none

Questions:

1.  Can a mask change produce such a drastic result change?  
2.  Possibly due to pressure setting change moving from nasal pillows back to full face mask?
3.  Can the frequent low level leakage w nasal pillows contribute?
4.  Might there have been some other factor to look for?   
5.  Should I consider the 3 CSR events as spurious (I have only seen another, single CSR event over 8 months of therapy), though rhythmic breathing is common for me.
6.  I have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, and did have a minor seizure during that first day.  A possible contributor? 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Aug12

Aug13

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Change - Big Difference?
Leaks can contribute to causing CA's.  Huge improvement in the 2nd chart (Aug 13).

Keep using this mask obviously if possible.  

One last experiment may be to see if you have a seizure again using this mask and if that produces some CSR breathing.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I think one of the hardest parts about CPAP Therapy is finding a mask that works well for you. 

I have a total of three, and I tend to switch back & forth when I feel it's needed.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2024, 11:00 AM)Jay51 Wrote: Leaks can contribute to causing CA's.  Huge improvement in the 2nd chart (Aug 13).

Keep using this mask obviously if possible.  

One last experiment may be to see if you have a seizure again using this mask and if that produces some CSR breathing.

Yes, that's the plan.  I'll used the full face mask to try and replicate last night's results, where were very much similar for quite while.

Then, I'll try and add back the nasal pillow mask to see how it goes.

Good idea on looking out for results after another seizure.

I must say, wearing the full face mask, after a few weeks trying those nasal masks, was quite comfortable and familiar.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI was 0.3 last night with the Evora hybrid full face mask.  No new CSR events.

A nice trend.  Im gonna stay with this for the one being.

The nasal mask experiment was interesting, but seems to have failed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 360 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  9 months in with no meaningful change johnald 7 326 08-17-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: johnald
  Slight Mouth Leaks With Nasal Pillows Airfit P10 - Change Mask? stevesleep 6 423 08-08-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How often to change P10 pillows Cranberry Ray 32 8,281 08-07-2024, 03:12 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Sudden Change in Results Unathletico 5 361 07-31-2024, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  difference of pressure between Lowenstein and Resmed - bloating urielh 5 474 06-08-2024, 04:35 PM
Sad [Pressure] Do I need to change pressure or settings ? maxpest99 1 257 06-03-2024, 09:20 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.