Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies
Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies
I'm on Medicare and approaching my first re-order.

1 - How Do you Order - I'm curious if people typically use the customer support people for reordering supplies or use the vendor online ordering capability (if there is one available)?  I'm more of an online self serve type.  Any pros or cons you've experienced? 

2 - Interval Calculation - I'm aware of the varying intervals for supplies to be covered.  If you order yourself, do you use the order date that appears on your Medicare summary notices from the last order as a guide before re-ordering?  And does this equate to placing an order after enough time has elapsed to make sure it's covered? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies
Do you have a DME you work with -- such as maybe the one that provided the machine. They're notorious for calling the customer to get the reorder. I've even had them wake me up on a Saturday morning at 8:00. They don't call me anymore == I call them. I'm in their system, they know what to send me. They know what Medicare will pay for. A different one said it's a $100 minimum order. I told them I don't need mask cushions, and they told me that I should replace them every 2 weeks due to hidden areas that can't be cleaned. Medicare pays for it.

When I've wanted to experiment with trying a different mask, I call them up and tell them I'll pay with Credit Card on it -- they act like they don't know what to do. Then they refer me to some other provider that can take the order. See the list of providers on this site. The other possibility is the Prime provider Bezos. You can't order a mask -- but you can order pieces of the mask which will be a complete mask after assembled.

Pros and cons == after you're set up, it's pretty much automatic. They stay within Medicare paying guidelines. Sometimes the language barrier gets in the way and I just become the yes man. They'll verify your shipping and billing numbers to get set up. And they ask "why are you ordering these supplies" -- "because the others are worn out", even though they're not. I guess they figure it's within reason to change supplies more often than needed. It all depends on if and who your provider is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t ever give a DME your credit card number if your intent is to use Medicare.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just email or call my local DME and have them send me my supplies.  They know when I am Medicare eligible for masks, cushions, water chambers and filters etc. In my case it works great.
I am not an expert...just a long time user.

OSCAR - The Guide
Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
Positional Apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
Call the DME you are working with. Ask what their procedure is for reordering supplies.

Some will call you...some wait for you to call them.

My DME calls me every 60 days like clockwork.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME called for orders so frequently it felt like a scam call. I had to answer if I'd used the machine regularly. Then we'd discuss items ready to order based on Medicare style time schedule. I could get different masks if I wanted at certain times, other times it was cushions etc. only.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the responses.

They call quite frequently (because I don't answer).  I just checked online and when I go to order a message pops up stating they are checking my insurance rules as to what can be ordered now.  What comes up appears to be accurate which is comforting.  When I'm ready, I'll proceed with the online ordering.  

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
The frequency you can reorder supplies id far more often than your need,

Take advantage of this and start a supply box at home. The initial goal is to have one extra of everything in that box. Some items that you go through get more than one such as filters. After that only order as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME sends me an email advising me that it's time to reorder supplies and provides a list of what I'm eligible for at that time.  I check what I want, they send the stuff, and that's all there is to it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
My long-time DME (not listed) is starting to deliver wrong size supplies and I need to jump thru hoops to get the correct size headgear. I am on Medicare. May I go to any online DME and start ordering supplies, when it is time?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any idea why Medicare would reject a BiPap machine to address Hypoxia? elisio 4 194 09-29-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Who tells Medicare I am using my new CPAP in first 90 days? silverchief2 3 299 08-17-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Medicare Rules chzuck 14 1,022 08-11-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 10 1,055 07-11-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Has anyone received Medicare reimbursement for purchased CPAP or subsequent supplies? gbecsi 6 586 06-01-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: ischua
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 848 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 474 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.