Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Advice and Support
Advice and Support
Hi everyone! I have a question. I have OSA and I recently have been prescribed Trazodone for insomnia. I have been noticing some higher AHI levels and I am wondering if anyone else would know anything about this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice and Support
According to the NIH, trazadone should not affect upper airway muscles and increases your arousal threshold (which in theory should lower your AHI). However, drugs affect people in different ways and could be affected by diet, other medication, and lifestyle. I know some blood pressure medications cause an increase in pressure in some individuals. That therapy is then changed until another medication is found to be efficacious. I would follow up with your MD, let him know what you found. He/She will ask you a multitude of questions to see if they can unravel your mystery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much I appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
The various prescribed sleep aids will often have a deleterious effect on sleep apnea.  At least, that is what I was cautioned about with Zopiclone, which is not the same thing as Trazodone, admittedly.  If your AHI reports consistently, and reliably, show an increase of two or more AHI per hour, but only after ingesting the Trazodone, then I would have to conclude that the Trazodone has something to do with it.  So, two or three trials, trying hard to replicate the same circumstances for several nights of using the product, will tell the tale for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 201 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 207 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 256 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  New user, support needed please Katie.williams 8 390 09-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 266 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 404 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  oscar support for dreamstation2? jpsantell 4 343 07-26-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: jc12312

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.