Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth tape leaking, burping in morning. Too much pressure?
Mouth tape leaking, burping in morning. Too much pressure?
Hi all,

I've been using my CPAP for about a month and I'm having some issues. I'm using a P30i mask and taping my mouth at night. If I don't tape my mouth I wake up in the middle of the night with air spouting out of it!

However even with my mouth taped something odd happens, every few nights I wake up to the sensation of my mouth slowly inflating like a puffer fish, eventually the pressure builds up and it creates a small leak on the corner of my mouth. Another thing that I have noticed is that when I wake up in the morning and I sit up, I have to burp. This never occurred before therapy, the burp is fine, no pain, not big, but it's like air is getting trapped in my stomach during the night.

I've read that all of this may be due to too much pressure, or at least too much exhalation pressure. I read that changing the Mask settings from Pillows (which is what I have it set on as per the P30i instructions) to Full Face will actually drop the pressure a little bit. Also read that changing from the Slimline tube to the 19mm should also help reduce pressure.

I tried this for 1 night last night however the 'puffer fish' occurred.

I am wondering, should I tried and lowering the pressure? My EPR setting is Full Time, Level 1, which I understand to mean a 1cmH20 reduction in exhalation pressure, I'm also wondering if increase this to 3 might help. Another suggestion I read online is a V-Com device which is supposed to help reduce exhalation pressure.

The good news is my AHI is around 1! But the puffer fish wakes me up at night :.

This is a screen shot of 2 nights ago when I was still using the Pillows setting instead of Full Face
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth tape leaking, burping in morning. Too much pressure?
I don't see an OSCAR chart...
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure you are following these instructions when posting a Screenshot.

Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoops, let's try again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is almost nothing so your mouth tape appears to be working.  You could try setting your EPR to three and see if it helps.  You may get more clear airways or apneas though.  Your upper pressure is almost hitting 9cm when you are sleeping, so that may be the cause of the puffer fish too.  I use a nasal mask and the same thing happens to me occasionally although, I run in CPAP mode only with 3 EPR.  If the EPR to 3 does not work for you I would suggest the following.  Try setting setting your minimum pressure at 8cm, and the EPR at 2 or 3, the higher minimum pressure my stop some of the up and down pressure fluctuations.  If nothing works for you after four or five days you may want to try CPAP mode only at a pressure of 8cm or a little higher and see if that helps. 

I think that the V-com is for use if you are running your machine in the CPAP mode only with out any EPR.  
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I set the EPR to 3 a few nights ago and had another puffer fish last night. The mouth tape definitely works, it's just the sensation of my mouth inflating and hearing the small leak that wakes me up. I'll try raise the minimum raise to 8cmH2O like you suggested and reported back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Dry mouth.. jojo314519 2 98 07-03-2024, 12:46 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Mouth leaks progress through night bamba415 6 305 07-01-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: bamba415
  Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping volty 24 1,471 06-29-2024, 07:03 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Angry Foggy, headache, and still tired each morning eswagar 8 380 06-12-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  F20 leaking after reassembly for cleaning fearoffours 2 173 06-07-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  US brand mouth type recommendations? alwyns42 2 249 06-03-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Funny taste in mouth Chrisr 8 370 05-30-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.