Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal sores and humidifier.
Nasal sores and humidifier.
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been using my resmed airsense 10 for about 6 months on and  off. I’ve had a recent issue which I wanted to ask about. About a month ago I started getting really sore nostrils, not at the entrance, but just inside my nose and going upwards a bit. It felt a bit like when you have a spot forming under your skin and it’s sore. Over the following days the sore areas produced a bit of pus and scabbed over but it became painful to the touch.  After several more days the nostrils gradually improved (I’d stopped CPAP while this was going on). 

Then about ten days ago I woke with a very swollen top lip and it was quite red under my left nostril. I got in to see my doctor as this clearly wasn’t right. He said I had an abscess. I mentioned the sore nostrils and he thought that the CPAP had dried out my nose and created sores which allowed Staphylococcus bacteria to enter my system which had then caused the abscess. He put me on a high dose of two different antibiotics which took over a week to clear up the infection. 

I’m finally back to normal and am about to try my machine but with a humidifier attached. I spoke to my CPAP clinic about my dry nostrils and they sent me a humidifier but I haven’t been able to try it until my infection had gone. 

So, has anyone else had anything like the above? Do you guys think it was caused by dry nostrils? I have very little faith in doctors. 

Also, how do I know if I’ve got my humidity setting right? It’s currently on 4. Do you think I’ll be able to notice any difference?

Thanks for any advice you can give. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal sores and humidifier.
I would think the humidifier would help. When I was new to all this my nose sometimes got very dry. I applied a little Lanisoh inside with a fingertip and that stopped the problem. Lanisoh is used by nursing mothers. It comes in a tube sold in baby departments everywhere for not a lot of money. It's just lanolin and is harmless to infants, so I don't think it would hurt anyone else. The humidifier may be enough, but if it's not, add the Lanisoh.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem for 2.5 years. Infections inside and pressure sores. I was using phillips respironics mask. My respiratory therapist told me that he couldn't help me about 3 months in never heard from him again. I did a lot of modification and spent a lot of money trying to find a good mask before I settled with the evora full. It helped a lot with the sores but still got infections inside my nose. I found that washing my face and nose and cleaning with an astringent like sea breeze or witch hazel to remove oils and dirt cleared it up. haven't had a sore nose in months. Humidity level set at 4
Post Reply Post Reply
I always had issues with dry air, causing pain inside my nose. Then, I tuned up the moisture as high as possible to reach the condensation limit. Since then, I have had no problem. See my current setting on the left.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies. I’ve never heard of Lanisoh. I’m in the UK so maybe there are similar products under a different name. I’ll have a look. Regarding my mask, I started out using a full face mask which came with the machine and it was good apart from air leaks and farting on my face which I could never resolve so the hospital sent me an F30i pillows mask which has been fine but maybe that contributed to the issue.

I’ll try the witch hazel too so thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the humidifier, I got up this morning after a fairly good sleep (I actually had a vivid dream which is rare, so maybe that indicates I slept better using CPAP again). When I looked at my water level it hadn’t moved at all; literally none used. I had machine set to 4. Surely the level should have dropped. Tonight I’ll set it to maximum.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2024, 01:53 AM)ubuntootoo Wrote: Regarding the humidifier, I got up this morning after a fairly good sleep (I actually had a vivid dream which is rare, so maybe that indicates I slept better using CPAP again). When I looked at my water level it hadn’t moved at all; literally none used. I had machine set to 4. Surely the level should have dropped. Tonight I’ll set it to maximum.
You should increase the hose temperature along with the humidity increase to prevent condensation.
Post Reply Post Reply
i don’t have a heated hose. ??‍♂️
Post Reply Post Reply
Then it would be best if you did not go to the maximum immediately. Instead, try to increase it gradually until you experience condensation. There is no point in going above that. The ultimate solution is a heated hose. With that, you can use high humidities.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I thought I'd post an update in case it benefits someone. I'd been using my humidifier for some time but I was either having no humidity or I was being woken by gurgling noises and loads of condensation. My only reason for the humidifier was to hopefully eliminate nasal sores. The hospital were reluctant to send me a heated tube because apparently they're VERY expensive and can only be issued after all other solutions have been tried. 

I've found a solution which seems to work for me. That is NO humidifier, and instead all I do is smear vaseline up each nostril before putting mask on. I don't know if vaseline is a brand everyone here will know, but it's petroleum jelly. So far, after about 1 month of this, I've had zero sores and no issues whatsoever. 

I guess the humidifier might be more necessary in drier climates. Here in Scotland it seems to be damp most of the time. 

Hopefully someone else might find this useful. 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you!  Good-work  I'm so glad you found something that has solved your problem.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? FLsleeper7 38 19,655 09-09-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: TycBova
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,248 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Humidifier Issue Vako 11 381 08-31-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Vako
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 10 2,000 08-25-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry [Equipment] Masks all either cause pressure sores or blow off my face middleofnowhere 10 502 07-10-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rainout with no humidifier robulus 6 414 06-14-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: flanksinatra
Question Sores and Burning Lips Rearea1989 3 363 05-05-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.