Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting Out - Guidance Please
RE: Starting Out - Guidance Please
As always, thank you everyone for the help.

There is an item of concern that seems weird to me but I figured I would outline it here for some potential insight or thoughts about it.  I sleep "better" and felt "better" with the AirSense 10 versus the AirCurve 10.

The last settings of the AirSense 10 I would lay down and fall asleep rather quickly and I would wake a bit here and there in the middle of the night but I fell back to sleep very quickly.  I woke up feeling fairly good and I would feel a 7 or 8 out of 10 fairly consistently but randomly I would feel 5 or 6 out of 10.  I can't think of anything that would cause this in terms of diet, exercise, daily events such as stress, etc it just seems so totally random.  The big take away though is that I would fall asleep quickly and very rarely be wide aware in the middle of the night.

With the AirCurve 10 with the latest settings (which is substantially more comfortable than the default settings) I am consistently waking up, totally wide awake, in the middle of the night for 30+ minutes.  I also noticed that I am not falling asleep quickly, sometimes laying there for 30 to 60 minutes (if I had to guess given I try not to look at the clock).  This waking up wide awake between 1am and 3am is what happens without any theapy, yet it doesn't happen with the AirSense 10 which I can't quite put my finger on.

I don't know how or why this would be.  In a nutshell, I fall asleep very fast and rarely am "wide awake" and consistently sleep better with the AirSense 10 with a random date of feeling like garbage.  With the AirCurve 10 I am consistently not falling asleep quickly, am consistently waking up wide awake in the middle of the night and overall consistently felling less good during the day.  

Below are my settings for each device for reference:

Code:
AirSense 10
Mode: CPAP
Fixed 8.0
EPR 1

AirCurve 10 ASV
Mode:  ASVAuto
Min EPAP 5.0
Max EPAP 8.0
PS Min:  4.0
PS Max:  9.00
Any thoughts about this?  Do my OSCAR reports reflect anything useful as to how or why this would be?  The AirCurve 10 has essentially eliminated the AHI but I take longer to fall asleep, wake up in the middle of the night wide awake and overall each day I'm feeling 5 to 6 out of 10 rather than consistently 7 or 8 out of 10 with the CPAP AirSense 10 settings (which I acknowledge the AirCurve 10 unit can do CPAP mode if needed).  I still have both machines and really want to try to get to the root of this.  Maybe it is beyond apnea therapy?

Note:  Attached is last night, 5/29 in which at just before 1:00 am I woke up wide awake.  I laid there for 10 minutes or so and then acnkowledged I'm totally wide awake so I went and used the restroom and just laid there for a bit until I felt drowsy then put the machine back on at around 1:30 am.  One other item I noticed with the AirCurve 10 is that I burp here and there in the middle of the night or when trying to fall back to sleep.   Huh.  Attached is also a 20 minute time frame before I woke up in the middle of the night and after putting the mask and machine back on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you're listing the CPAP as static single pressure while obviously the ASV isn't, it's possible you're not liking the variations to pressure.

You can try to minimize ASV variations a bit more if you'd like.

Your current
"ASV
Mode: ASVAuto
Min EPAP 5.0
Max EPAP 8.0
PS Min: 4.0
PS Max: 9.00"

Can reduce a small amount by this

EPAP 5-7
PS 3-8

Will it help? Not certain but it's up to you if you'd like to give it a go.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the guidance thus far. I am here with an update.

The Aircurve 10 ASV isn't nearly as uncomfortable as it was originally which is good. The issue is that I am now back to consistently waking up totally wide awake between 01:00 and 03:00. My AHI is consistently 0.25 with the majority of the time 0.00 and in rare cases near 1.00.

I have noticed that I am incredibly gassy during use and first few minutes when I get out of bed in the morning. I know it sounds gross, and I apologize ahead, but I frequently have little burps in the night and sometimes long farts. This was absolutely never the case at any point in my life except for recently using the Aircurve 10 ASV so I have no doubt it is the culprit and it may give some type of tale as to what is going on or wrong with how I have it configured.

I'm bringing this update without OSCAR charts to see if there is any other thoughts, recommendations or even straight up guesses. I'm happy to provide more charts if desired. I again thank you very much for the help and support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Asv could take a while to resolve the aerophagia, when they took my pressure up to PS 4 over 18 it took me several months to get over the affects of aerophagia.

You can minimize it by eating early, side sleeping, avoiding carbonated beverages, alcohol & food that may be gassy to your digestive tract. Gas-X was also suggested by my primary doctor, it helped, a little.

Hang in there, it may seem like the odds are stacked against you, but you will overcome these obstacles.

Fart Free since December, and the family is Loving It!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Friendly update for everyone since so many have invested so much reviewing my case.

I am still experiencing aerophagia with the AirCurve 10 ASV.  I am most comfortable on my side or chest although I find it hard to sleep with a mask and on my chest so it is mainly my side.

I am dreaming which is something that I missed out on for many months so I suspect this is a positive.  I frequently, more often than not, feel "tense" in the morning when I wake up as if I was trying to keep as still as possible all night long.  I don't know how better to describe it and it is something that I never experienced years ago prior to the sleep issues.  Any thoughts?  I feel pretty good overall.... fairly consistent 7 or 8 out of 10 which is good in my book.  I'm functional although I still occasionally get that feeling of being able to fall right to sleep in the afternoon so I am still not sure if I'm getting a full and complete rest at night.  I still wake up "wide awake" in the middle of the night but I have been falling back to sleep much faster than no remedy at all.

Still using ResMed AirFit P10.

I do still get the occasional day in which I'm comfortable in bed but cannot fall asleep even though there was nothing eventful that day or planned for the next day.  Maybe this has something more to do with some other sleep condition over apnea.  I don't know.

See attached the last few days Daily view and then an Overview page.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Looking for some guidance Cg30sailor 8 261 09-13-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Cg30sailor
  Increased AHI after starting CPAP legoland123 2 151 09-09-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Restarting CPAP treatment, looking for guidance croc 40 3,058 09-04-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: croc
  [CPAP] starting to use CPAP without sleep study/data help Fantasieimpromptu 2 160 09-03-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Starting Pressures - Advice? mark.apnea 1 174 08-15-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Starting Treatment Guidance needed jamesm1976 3 199 08-15-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Help….starting to feel tired again Internetstranger 9 328 07-31-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.