Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some advice
Need some advice
Hi all,

So let me prefix this with say I'm new here, but not to CPAP overall. Been on CPAP for a little over 2 years now. Though most of that was spent getting used the whole thing and sorting out allot of problems with little to no help. With a large amount of difficulty I have managed to at least get somewhere. So with that said let me get to the point. I'm really considering getting a different mask. My AirFit F20, I've made work decently well. With the addition of chin strap, a knights bridge dual band strap that puts pressure on your chin vertically, unlike others. I've also added a pad a cheek anti leak strap. Yeah, thats a whole lot of stuff, but it works. I've had very little support from the day I started getting my CPAP treatments in order. Partially due to a insurance thing where they no longer paid for follow ups. Obviously given the measures I take to make things work, I feel like I could be doing something better. Getting the mask straps properly set has also been a big pain in the rear. Either way I think I'm definitely over tightening things. This is whats leading me to want a new mask, but I'm not sure what I should look for out for. I'm a mouth breather hence the chin strap so I think a full face mask is what I want. However, there are days where I wake with mask  face. You know the clear imprint of a cpap mask in the morning. I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague, so let me clarify. Given I'm going for a full face mask I'm looking for recommendations and people's opinion on what they like and might work for me. I really just want to make sure the choice I make is a solid one as I'm paying for it out of pocket.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some advice
I would suggest at least considering a hybrid full face (bottom of nose and mouth) as opposed to the over the nose style.

Given that everyone's face is different I can't say that the particular one I have would work well for you, or not, (much less tell you what size works for you...) but it works well for me, and the over the nose style was horrible for me. 

There's less mask volume, and the hose goes off the top of your head. It accommodates mouth breathing (I have no idea how much of that I do asleep, but I certainly do it getting to sleep, yawning, etc.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I didn't even know that was an option. This is precisely the kind of reason I asked here. Hopefully a few more replies and I should have enough info to investigate further.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like the Philips Dreamware version is quite similar and appears to cost less, at least where I've looked so far.  I'm not really shopping for a mask right now, but while shopping for a tube I'm having a look. 

Not seeing any others so far but I haven't looked everywhere. Get the "fit pack" and you can try all the sizes of FF cushions, and that one says it will also work with their nasal or nasal pillow cushions if you want to try that without more investment than a cushion. Pretty sure my ResMed won't do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people start with a full face mask, then switch to a nasal or pillows mask.  That's what I did and I am MUCH happier using a smaller, more efficient mask and taping my mouth.  It's more comfortable and works better at eliminating mouth and mask leaks.  Just something else to consider.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up buying a hybrid an Amara view. Its taking some time to get used to it, but its actually a very nice mask. Taking some time to get used to it, but I will manage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with your mask choice.  It becomes a challenge when you are self paying as they are expensive.  We can suggest many type masks, but remember that what works for one person might not work for you.  

Also, review the Mask Primer as there are many good tips on proper fitting.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Jeffy1958
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 229 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 299 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 280 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 428 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 3,680 06-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Seeking advice OSA TheWishyOne 2 293 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.