Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need tooth pulled
Need tooth pulled
My oral surgeon is telling me that I can't use my CPAP machine for 3 days after the extraction. There is no way I can go that long without it, I can't even go 1 night. 
The tooth in question is in the front right of my mouth, just behind the upper  canine. my mask will press on the area.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for taking the time to read Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need tooth pulled
Would a different mask that does not press on the area satisfy your oral surgeon? The ResMed P10 is a nasal pillow mask that might do the trick, if (1) that would satisfy your dentist, (2) you can manage the expense of a new mask, and (3) you can use nasal pillows. That's a lot to expect to all work together, I realize! But finding a mask that does not press on the surgical area seems like your best bet.

Good luck! I hope your dental surgery goes well, and that you can get some sleep when it is done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the response. 

The surgeon is worried about the air pressure more than the mask pressing on the spot. I have never had good results with nasal pillows, though. I can try again, but they tend to wake me up constantly when air goes into my mouth. My jaw doesn't open, but my cheeks puff out, and it wakes me up a lot.

Does the air pressure matter for an extraction?
Post Reply Post Reply
usually the problem is suction not sure about pressure but you risk dislodging the blood clot. you can get a dry socket and that's extremely painful. not sure i would risk it tbh

i would try a nasal mask/pillows at least for a day or 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was doing some googling to see if there was an official .gov or .org answer. There are several references to a study in 2012 that say it may actually help prevent it, but I can not find a link to the actual study - just a bunch of people who say it exists. Maybe someone knows better how to find this study?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 566 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Tooth Extraction - Should I sleep without CPAP until healed? Hydrangea 10 19,873 11-14-2022, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Merrillguice
  Looking for Help - Excruciating Tooth Pain, a Dentist’s Check, and Diet Change RayBee 10 2,254 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Tooth extraction, safe to use CPAP right away? OneSnorer 4 11,770 10-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Last Post: unidee
  CPAP use after wisdom tooth extraction and sinus repair poma 2 2,119 02-08-2021, 01:52 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Is my high v2 snore actually tooth grinding 10313horn 2 1,312 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tooth Pain After Two Months Mask Use Art Stan 12 2,104 07-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Art Stan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.