Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

JohnnyHotdog - Therapy Help
JohnnyHotdog - Therapy Help
I'm struggling with CPAP therapy and just now about a month in. The first symptoms that I noticed that lead me to getting a sleep study was a "snort" that would wake me up when I would fall asleep. After a at home sleep study I was diagnosed with mild OSA. The prescription I was given was a 8 min 20 max pressure. I tried sleeping with these settings but I could not stand the pressure. I begun to do some research on how to adjust my own settings as I have no insurance. And I have made some progress. My AHI is in the 8's and I can't get it down anymore. On top of that my sleep has been horrible. I have downloaded OSCAR but I am not sure on how to interpret the data to improve my sleep. I believe that I am dealing with mask leak and mouth breathing. The last couple days I have woken up with really bad dry mouth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up a lot
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Still waking up a lot. Sometimes I will have a lot a hypopneas or OA's. I'm pretty sure I've gotten my settings down now. I've regularly keep my AHI below 5 but still struggling to feel rested. I sleep on my side or stomach with a flat pillow. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up a lot
It looks like you are using ramp, that sometimes you are hitting a little too often against your upper-pressure limit, and that you sometimes have high flow limits.  I suggest the following:

Turn ramp off, as you get virtually no therapy while using it.
Increase your upper-pressure limit to 14.
Set the highest setting on whatever the Dreamstation version of EPR is.

I think those should help. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: JohnnyHotdog - Therapy Help
JohnnyHotdog - I have merged your 2 threads that relate to your CPAP journey.  It makes it easier for those that offer advice to see your history in one thread. To provide a more inclusive title, I have renamed it to "JohnnyHotdog - Therapy Help".

Going forward, please use this thread to post your therapy related questions and OSCAR charts.

Thanks! Smile
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're waking up with a dry mouth, your mouth is popping open while you sleep. You'll have to evaluate whether you need to open your mouth to breathe. If you do, consider that in your mask choice. For instance, if your nose is blocked, a nasal mask might not be optimal, since you'd be inclined to open your mouth just to breathe, and tape would be a very bad idea.

Even if you have a FFM with no leaks, you might still get a dry mouth! This won't be a therapeutic issue, but definitely a comfort one, and isn't great for your teeth. So, you'll likely want some strategies to minimize your jaw-drop.

Among the strategies: adjust the humidifier, use a supportive collar, lowering the pillow, using a different sleep position, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband and I use Xylimelts, little curved tablets that you stick to your gum, overlapping a little on the tooth. These dissolve slowly as you sleep and help a LOT with dry mouth. It's best to set them between two teeth, as there is more gum there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, your leaks are too low for you to worry about mouth breathing. That is not what is causing your dry mouth. I tape and still need the Xylimelts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 836 04-27-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
Question [CPAP] My Therapy tapperino 2 333 04-06-2024, 03:44 PM
Last Post: tapperino
  Therapy Help! greenpj22 25 1,573 02-12-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: greenpj22
  Therapy Help SueB 3 652 11-16-2023, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LazyBones
  [Treatment] Help with therapy KPink 15 1,239 07-25-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: KPink
  Getting used to therapy? ttrani01 2 509 04-09-2023, 04:18 PM
Last Post: ttrani01
  Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar Lorrubdb 395 22,844 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lorrubdb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.