Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user, OSCAR data - Advice needed
New CPAP user, OSCAR data - Advice needed
I Have been dealing with brain fog, cognitive issues, and fatigue for probably 8+ years, but has gotten noticeably worse in the last 2 years.  I eat a mostly organic whole food diet, no drugs, alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine.  I am 30 years old, male, 5'8" 150 lbs, and I exercise regularly.  I sleep 7-8 hrs every night, generally fall asleep easily, and normally sleep through the night (or so I thought). However, I very rarely have dreams.  I wake up exhausted every day. I am light headed, borderline dizzy frequently.    

I took a Lofta home sleep test (Watchpat) and was diagnosed with OSA with an AHI of 10.3 and RDI of 20.6.  I also took a home sleep study through Kaiser which was a NOX sleep device which had a pulse ox, belts, and tubes in the nose.  That one came back with an AHI of 5.1, and they prescribed a CPAP.  I did not get a titration study. 

I have been using the CPAP for 6 weeks now, and my symptoms have not improved, and I am still not dreaming.  I am still waking up brain fogged and exhausted.  I tolerate the mask well and am usually asleep within 10 minutes of lying down.  

I use Airsense 11 autoset, Mirage FX nasal mask.  Ramp off, Humidity 5.  I started out at a pressure range of 4-20 (how they sent the machine), then lowered max pressure to try to eliminate all of the CA events I was having.  I have tried EPR on, EPR off, fixed pressure CPAP mode with pressures of 7, 8, 9.  Highest AHI I've seen was 4.3 at 9cm pressure EPR off. Last night I turned auto set back on at a pressure range of 8-12 with EPR set to 3.  I am unsure of what settings to try next.  I have worn a soft cervical collar for a handful of nights to prevent chin tucking which had no effect. 

The thing is that since starting CPAP therapy I have had a couple random days where I wake up totally refreshed, mental clarity is improved, and my energy is unreal, way higher levels of energy than I have ever had in the last few years.  On the nights preceding these good days, I have alot of dreams which indicates my sleep quality is better.  The next day I'm back to being a zombie.   

I have attached some OSCAR charts.  I have been tracking heart rate and SPO2 with a wellue O2 ring.  In the beginning I was regularly desating to 86 every night, lowest being 83. In the recent weeks I  usually stay in the low 90's which seems to be improving.  

I am still exhausted every day and I am not dreaming.  
Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user, OSCAR data - Advice needed
It could be a number of things, but let’s try titrating a bit first before going down a rabbit hole.

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 2 full-time
No ramp

That will tell us two things. First, is EPR causing the CA’s, and second, is the pressure the correct range for you. Use that for a few nights and post the result.

It is possible some of the CA’s are treatment emergent and will resolve over time, but I like to make sure we are in the right range for your pressure and pressure support before trying other things.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would like some advice (OSCAR data) dandmt 8 259 Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Last Post: coutherino
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Starting out, CPAP as Diagnostic tool? Aph002 0 63 Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Aph002
Smile Looking for some advice NeilFromTheRiver 4 145 Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Last Post: NeilFromTheRiver
  [CPAP] Help interpreting OSCAR data rtpaige03 3 157 Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New user, one month in, settings advice? Dan9463 6 223 10-24-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Dan9463
  assistance with analyzing cpap data jentlesoal 11 570 10-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Review My Oscar Data; Any Recommendations? Websurfer49 1 106 10-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.