Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New hose smell
New hose smell
I just received a new batch of shortie connector hoses from a CPAP supplier I've bought from before (not a random Amazon or ebay seller). This batch of hoses has a very strong smell: I can smell them from 2 ft away. I am very sensitive to odors, which is why I figured I'd go with a supplier that worked before. The packaging says "made in the USA", but it's not one of the "usual suspect" brands. The hoses have dark-gray flexible cuffs, grey coils and clear plastic walls (differnet from what they were before).  In the past, new hoses had an slight silicone odor from the cuffs which would dissipate within a day of use. This new smell I have never dealt with. Any advice how to remove the smell, and any insight into what new materials companies now use to "optimize" their production? 

Thinking to tape the bundle of hoses to a blower and let the air run through them  outdoors in the sun for a few hrs (with the ozone/UV and all), then wash. To deal with potential smell issues, I used custom-order corrugated PTFE hoses with target ID and OD. These have no smell at all and are indestructible, but are not as flexible as regular CPAP hoses and also cost a fortune.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New hose smell
Interesting issue! I hope your creative efforts solve the unpleasant smell work well for you. The only thing I have found that solves this issue is time, but I like your ideas.

Although the discussion here understandably tends to focus on machines and masks, the hoses that connect them are, in my opinion, surprisingly important.

Thanks for your post. It mentions some ideas I had never thought of! (Custom ordered hoses, for example.)
Post Reply Post Reply
runcyclexcski;
I would call the supplier .. Ask about change of material ..
Ask about exchanging for the other hoses You didn't have 
a problem with ..  If that can't be done ..  
Maybe return for refund and buy some were else ??
You can always resort to washing in unsented detergent
and airing out the hoses You have ..
Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah i would try to send it back. made in the usa isn't automatically good quality Wink

and i wouldn't put plastic in the sun or under uv it will only degrade it. but attaching it to a blower wouldn't hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, all. When I lived in the US, there were more options of suppliers. In the UK, the choice was limited, but I could still get what I wanted. Now I am in the EU, and no online store even stocks the "shortie" hoses. So I had them shipped from the UK with customs fees etc,; that took a month. Shipping back and forth will take even more time. Complaints about smell, in my experience, are usually dealt with a "you are the first one to have this issue" argument, so I doubt it can be resolved.

Soaking in concentrated detergent slightly diminished the smell, but it's still an issue. Will see if the source is the cuffs, or the hose itself. If the inside of the hose is PE, that should be smell-free, so I can remove the cuffs and find a way to connect them. I will also look into sourcing hoses made of materials I know how to deal with (less fancy than PTFE), with the ID matching the CPAP specs. 

It is disappointing that one cannot just trust a brand/shop and stick with it: companies can be bought, sold, "optimized", change suppliers etc., so one never knows what one gets. 15 years ago I never had such issues with "smelly" hoses.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a ClimateLIne hose. I just replaced the hose a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any issues with smells or scents at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Found this supplier of silicone breathing tubes with the ID matching that of CPAP hoses. Not cheap, but I've paid more for PTFE hoses, and I know what material I am getting. Silicone can be baked-off at 130C (260F) for 4-5 hrs with moving air, a NASA protocol I've been following with great success.

https://www.rct-online.de/en/tubes-hoses...ing-tubing

"Application area
Analytical technology, process engineering, respiration engineering, inhalation technology, medical engineering, laboratory technology
Product specification
High-tech silicone spiral tubing is extruded of an especially high-grade silicone elastomer and is vulcanized. The cured goods do not contain any extractable constituents, and they are completely odourless and tasteless, physiologically inert and absolutely well tolerated by the body. Resistant to most organic solvents. The formulation meets the regulations of BfR XV, DAB 9, FDA § 177.2600, and USP XXI."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes! Those hoses are expensive.

For that kind of money, you might consider a ResMed AirMini hose (which is by far the best hose I have tried), just cutting off the ends and going with your own adapters (cuffs, I think you called them?).

Whatever you do, I wish you well! I hope you find an adequate solution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hose sliding off mask Dawei 16 15,201 07-26-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: amx1966
  [Equipment] Shortest hose or Adapter? ryans081 0 132 07-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ryans081
  Resmed Climateline Vs Oxy Hose Akeyla 7 396 06-11-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 8 845 06-10-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Should "new" ResMed AirSense 11 smell like lavender? FaceOnMars 22 3,868 06-06-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Peaches
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 88 31,749 05-18-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [CPAP] Electricity related horrible CPAP smell carlrtx 28 4,632 05-10-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.