Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New-ish CPAP user needing help with settings
Surprised 
New-ish CPAP user needing help with settings
Hello all, long winded, but I'll try to keep it short.
I was diagnosed with a AHI of 13 December 2023. I have gone through a few masks, but ended up with the P30i, as it is the most comfortable. I've had A LOT of ups and downs trying to get comfortable and have settled on both mouth taping and chin straps. I've been able to stay under 5 AHI, but have been trying to play with the pressures for the past several months to no avail. I get super lucky if I get under 2. If I ramp up the pressure close to 2 of my 95% I usually get terrible aerophagia. I've also tried epr, which sometimes helps, but sometimes increases my centrals even more than the high pressure does. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what settings I should be trying first. My biggest problem is I will change the settings, not like the outcome, then change it again without giving myself time to adapt? Thanks again! Sleep-well

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New-ish CPAP user needing help with settings
I think some of your apneas are Positional Apneas (clusters) caused by chin tucking or your sleeping position.  Get a thinner pillow, try sleeping on your side if you now sleep on your back, if neither works try a soft cervical collar.  I would also suggest that you should your raise your minimum pressure to around 10cm and a maximum of pressure 14cm, do it gradually if you want, 2cm at a time is fine.  I would also try setting your EPR at 2 to start and then perhaps 3 when you get to 10cm.  The "Central Apneas" are most likely just a Clear Airway, where you just stop breathing after an arousal, pretty normal.   
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be searching only for comfort at this point, 2 events is considered treated and no matter what you do you will never end up with zero events nightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a settings maven, but superficial take is that they are not at the most sleep-relaxing for you.

To echo @OldSteve, Your goal should be to minimize a kink in your neck, which will give you positional apnea. Use a pillow of a height that avoids the kink: taller for side, flatter for back sleeping.

Would you mind filling out your avatar info exactly? Exact machine, exact mask, exact settings. It's confusing when it conflicts with the Oscars, and it helps fellow posters not to have to dig into your Oscars if they have non-settings contributions.
Post Reply Post Reply
You only had one CA.  Having a few more will not harm you in the least.  Turn your EPR up to 3.  It will make your breathing more comfortable and lower your flow limits, both good things.

Also, if you are mouth-taping you do not also need a chin strap.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,741 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 370 09-07-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] New CPAP user looking for optimization advice rococo.orchid 6 281 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  Interpreting OSCAR data (relatively new CPAP user) bolivar98 14 721 09-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing crentiist 4 223 09-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: crentiist
  [CPAP] New CPAP user; O2 levels still low auzzied 10 525 08-29-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help optimizing CPAP settings mluck94 5 379 08-10-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: mluck94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.