Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I received a replacement DS1 on 4/25/23. The SN begins with J3570.

Is there a way to tell if it is a NEW machine or a re-manufactured machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2023, 01:30 PM)Morseman Wrote: I received a replacement DS1 on 4/25/23.  The SN begins with J3570.

Is there a way to tell if it is a NEW machine or a re-manufactured machine?

On DS1 DreamStation machines, you get into the Provider Mode, then scroll through the screens until you see "I" for "Info".  In this screen, scroll until you get to a fan icon which is the "Device Hours" selection. This screen displays the number of hours that the blower has been active over the life of the device. If the machine is brand new (unused), that number should be at or near zero.

I'm not sure, but even a remanufacturered machine (with the newer foam) may show close to zero hours, if they replaced the blower motor and reset the "Device Hours".

To see how to get into the Provider Mode, go here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

Or you can get the complete Clinician Setup Manual via email from this page:
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my replacement today, there is no refurbished sticker on it and In the clinician setting,  the device hours says 0 - it also says less than 4 days old?

The label on the bottom with the serial number says it was manufactured on April 13, 2023.

So, I think mine is a new device? I received a Dream Station Auto BiPap for my System One Auto BiPap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2023, 07:15 PM)ruach Wrote: I just got my replacement today, there is no refurbished sticker on it 

The label on the bottom with the serial number says it was manufactured on April 13, 2023.I received a Dream Station Auto BiPap for my System One Auto BiPap.

Lucky you!  My Philips Respironics (PR) DreamStation Auto BiPAP replacement, which arrived about 3 weeks ago, was manufactured in January 2021. And it did have a "refurbished" sticker on it.

As someone noted elsewhere in this thread, I suspect PR resets the machine use and blower time when they refurbish the old units. But they do not change the date or the serial number listed on the attached plate, so it sounds to me like you might have scored a new unit! Congratulations! 
Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2023, 10:20 PM)Guilhermedico Wrote: Lucky you!  My Philips Respironics (PR) DreamStation Auto BiPAP replacement, which arrived about 3 weeks ago, was manufactured in January 2021. And it did have a "refurbished" sticker on it.

As someone noted elsewhere in this thread, I suspect PR resets the machine use and blower time when they refurbish the old units. But they do not change the date or the serial number listed on the attached plate, so it sounds to me like you might have scored a new unit! Congratulations! 
Congrats

Thanks- I am grateful I got a new unit instead of a refurbished one -
Did you return your recalled unit? 
 I am pondering whether or not to send back the system one - the instructions seem to be for returning a dream station,  but I suppose they simply want all affected units?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2023, 11:52 PM)ruach Wrote: Did you return your recalled unit? 
 I am pondering whether or not to send back the system one - the instructions seem to be for returning a dream station,  but I suppose they simply want all affected units?

If you decide NOT to return your old unit (either because you are part of the class action or for whatever other reason), you must fill out a brief form. Philips Respironics (PR) doesn't publicize the existence of this form very well, but the link to the form is hidden away in one of the answers on their recall Q&A site. While I'm not currently part of the class action, I decided to keep my 2-year-old original unit as a backup machine, for which I paid cash. If you do decide to keep your old device, it's important to complete the form so that the original supplier of your old machine doesn't get "dinged" by PR.

BTW, did you install the cellular modem? I'm hoping that someone will do what I did and NOT install the cellular modem on their refurbished or new machine, at least on the first night they use it. I'm curious to see if they replicate my experience in which neither the humidifier nor the heated tubing worked on the refurbished PR DreamStation Auto BiPAP until I finally installed the cellular modem one week later.
Post Reply Post Reply
SuperSleeper, thanks for the information.  The lower label on the bottom of my new DS1 says "2023-04-12  REV 15".  Do you agree that this indicates a NEW machine manufactured on the 12th of April of this year, rathert than a re-furb?
Post Reply Post Reply
Morseman - That sounds like the case, but I'm really not certain of anything that Philips is doing these days.   Bigwink Too-funny 

The DS1 remanufactured machines that most folks have received state that they are remanufactured (label on bottom of machine).  So if yours doesn't have that, it may in fact be a brand new DS1 (never used and with the new foam).

I'd also put a heavy reliance on the number of "Device Hours", as described in my post HERE.   That should be close to zero if it's a new machine, but may also be zero if they reset it after replacing the blower motor.  Again, Philips isn't really providing clear details on any of that, as far as I've heard.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2023, 09:56 AM)Guilhermedico Wrote:  the link to the form is hidden away in one of the answers on their recall Q&A site. 

BTW, did you install the cellular modem?

I looked for the form in the Q&A and could not find it - there was some form re: preservation of affected DreamStation and or Trilogy - but I didn't see anything related to the System One.   Any additional help for me to find the form you are referring to?

I have only turned on the Replacement device to check the Device hours, I haven't yet decided if I will use it or at least save it for a back-up.  My current device I use (ResMed), is under the period of time where you have to show compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2023, 10:35 PM)ruach Wrote: I looked for the form in the Q&A and could not find it - there was some form re: preservation of affected DreamStation and or Trilogy - but I didn't see anything related to the System One.   Any additional help for me to find the form you are referring to?

The Q&A question with a link, which explains how to "preserve" (i.e., NOT return) your original Philips Respironics (PR) DreamStation 1 (DS1), in case your original device is needed as part of a class action is this one: 

"What happens after I register my device, and what do I do with my old device?"

You may be correct about System One not being included in device preservation, because the link (https://www.mdl3014preservationregistry.com/) refers only to DS1 and Trilogy devices.

Although I am not an attorney, my reading of the fine print after you click this link is that PR was apparently served with two specific court orders allowing for preservation of original devices -- one for DS1 and one for Trilogy. 

Would PR require a separate court order to allow customers with a System One device to "preserve" their unit? 

IDK but one could understandably interpret in that way the lack of a specific court order governing System One preservation. You should contact the PR recall hotline and/or an attorney familiar with the class action to determine if this interpretation is correct.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 68 3,012 5 hours ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 1 57 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,161 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,338 Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 18 844 Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,639 10-21-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 446 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.