Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(07-05-2023, 04:22 PM)btreger Wrote: New e-mail from Philips:

OPTION 1 - Financial payment for the return of affected units: You can select the financial payment option in the Patient Portal to receive $500, based on the manufacturing date of your affected device. 
Receive $500 to replace a unit that cost less than $200 to produce.  Hows that work?
Post Reply Post Reply
AboutLawsuits

Philips DreamStation CPAP Problems Result in Litigation for Manufacturer in U.S. and Abroad

On top of U.S. litigation, Philips faces wrongful death lawsuits and complaints of failing to comply with medical device laws in European countries.

In The Netherlands, the NL Times reports that the children of a Dutch man who died of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis from a Philips CPAP recently raised claims that the manufacturer violated European Union rules for reporting on medical devices. The man’s children say they reported that his death was linked to using his recalled CPAP device to Philips, but the manufacturer failed to pass that report on to EU regulators.

That report should have been forwarded to the Health and Youthcare Inspectorate, but was not, according to a complaint they filed. In that case, Philips acknowledged it failed to send the report, apologized to the family, and offered to meet with them to resolve the situation.

Philips DreamStation CPAP Problems Result in Litigation for Manufacturer in U.S. and Abroad - AboutLawsuits.com
Post Reply Post Reply
My replacement machine came today. I was surprised to find a request to return the old machine, since that had never been conveyed to me before. The instructions for return clearly also only cover returning a Dreamstation machine and not an old System One machine like I had. It's clear they know I had an old System One machine because the replacement comes with all the Dreamstation 1 accessories that they don't include as part of the recall exchange for Dreamstation users but that I would require because I never had a Dreamstation.

Now, here's the kicker:

I stopped using my old machine and replaced it out of pocket the moment the recall broke. At that time, there was no talk of needing to ship it back to get a new machine. I put it in a box somewhere and now, two years later, when I finally get my replacement machine, I have no clue where that old machine is. Given the amount of post-COVID life shuffling that has happened and the amount of stuff we had to clean out, I doubt I even still have it anymore.

Does anyone know what Philips does in situations like these?
Post Reply Post Reply
OLD FAULTY SYSTEM
(07-15-2023, 04:59 PM)williaty Wrote: ^^^ above ^^^

It's a very serious issue.  You might want to consider buying an old system from Craigslist to return something to Philips' third-party contracted company.  One person that I know had a lean placed on their property by Philips after 30 days of not returning their faulty Philips system.

The above initial answer of course is complete fantasy.  
The real answer to your question about what Philips will do to you for not returning your old faulty unit is... "nothing".  
The odds are 99.999% that you will never again hear from Philips, or their third-party contractor(s), about it.

And should you ever hear from someone, return their prepaid pack with just a note stating that you're required to keep your old machine as possible evidence, as indicated in Philips' own web-site, and as dictated by the class-action judge.  But you'll never have to do even that.  You can relax.

P.S.  If you ever do find your old machine again (unless you decide to de-foam it and have it as a backup, or a backup backup), for environmental and health reasons it's best to just take it out of circulation. (Return it, or environmentally dispose of it properly.)
Post Reply Post Reply
NL#TIMES

Philips books good results despite still-dragging sleep apnea recall

Philips is doing better, despite still working to close its massive sleep apnea device recall. The company booked a profit of 74 million euros in the second quarter of this year, compared to a 20 million euros loss a year earlier, Philips said on Monday.

The medical tech company is getting more orders, managed to cut costs, and increased its turnover. Problems in the supply chain, especially with chips, also seem to be largely over. Philips is therefore adjusting its turnover expectations upwards for the rest of the year, CEO Roy Jakobs said.

Philips books good results despite still-dragging sleep apnea recall | NL Times
Post Reply Post Reply
HME NEWS

PHILIPS UPDATE: CONSENT DECREE LINGERS, AS COMPANY COMPLETES RECALL IN MANY MARKETS

'WE HAVE MADE GREAT PROGRESS AND THAT LEADS TO THE SUBSEQUENT DISCUSSIONS ON HOW AND WHEN TO RETURN TO GROWTH’

AMSTERDAM – Philips CEO Roy Jakobs says not to read into the fact that the company still hasn’t finalized a consent decree with the Department of Justice to resolve issues related to a recall of certain CPAP and other respiratory devices, nearly a year after discussions first began.  

Jakobs had previously said that he had hoped the consent decree would be finalized in the first half of 2023. 

Philips update: Consent decree lingers, as company completes recall in (hmenews.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2023, 12:19 PM)btreger Wrote: AMSTERDAM – Philips CEO Roy Jakobs says not to read into the fact that the company still hasn’t finalized a consent decree with the Department of Justice to resolve issues related to a recall of certain CPAP and other respiratory devices, nearly a year after discussions first began.  

The $630 million Jakobs set aside aint going to cover the cost of the donuts associated with the lawsuits. 

Suffice to say the DOJ CD is a sticky wicket. RESP has obviously been asked to admit their guilt on many levels before the DOJ is going to let 'em go back to shipping product for fun and profit. If RESP admits any guilt they risk losing billions, many billions in wrongful death, wrongful injury, unjust enrichment, breach of express warranty, fraudulent misrepresentation, fraud by omission, and securities fraud lawsuits. RESP has a long rich history of committing fraudulent acts and mislabeling defective medical devices - time the FDA and DOJ start prioritizing public health ahead of political campaign contributions. Maybe just try designing a decent product next time, mkay? If there is a next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder that the database seems still open to register one's old device, should they wish to keep it for possible "evidence" purposes.  Just putting that out after reading someone was being pressured by their DME to return it, and they absolutely wanted to keep it.  Here are the links:

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e...r_patients
*See "What happens after I register..."

The link in that Philips Q&A will take you to: https://www.mdl3014preservationregistry.com/

For safety purposes, best to click from the Philips' site so you know you're getting the right registry.

(Interesting to see this thread reach almost 300,000 views.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course they're making profits. They just increased their rates that the DME company pays for the supplies. They can't not get their bonuses can they? It blows my mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
REUTERS

Agnelli family's Exor buys $2.8 bln stake in Philips

AMSTERDAM, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Exor NV (EXOR.AS), the investment arm of Italy's Agnelli family, has become the top investor in Philips (PHG.AS) by buying 15% of the healthcare technology group for about 2.6 billion euros ($2.8 billion), the companies said.

The deal is a welcome vote of confidence in the Dutch company, which is in the late stages of a vast product recall that began in 2021 and knocked two-thirds off its share price.

Agnelli family's Exor buys $2.8 bln stake in Philips | Reuters
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 1 44 30 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 67 2,998 49 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,158 7 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,293 8 hours ago
Last Post: fudo
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 18 841 10 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,637 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 445 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.