Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Wonder what they're planning to do about our DS Go systems?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2024, 01:36 PM)Tampa Jim Wrote: Wonder what they're planning to do about our DS Go systems?

Nothing. They have already stated that there is no new replacement, nor will they refurbish them. If you registered your machine you should have received an offer for cash if you return your machine, (this is the option I chose), or return your machine for either a DS1 or DS2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2024, 01:49 PM)btreger Wrote: Nothing. They have already stated that there is no new replacement, nor will they refurbish them. If you registered your machine you should have received an offer for cash if you return your machine, (this is the option I chose), or return your machine for either a DS1 or DS2.

Not what they've been communicating with us. Originally, they offered cash or replacement, we opted for the latter. They registered it and have been sending updates on the status. We have not received any notification they have no intention of sending another unit. We've been using the same mailing address for 25 years, no change in e-mail, etc. All correspondence to date has reached us just fine.

They did replace all of our bedside units, though it was a mixed bag of new DS2 and refurbished DS1 units.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2024, 07:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: TimaaaahRocks, you live within 6-miles of my location. We should grab a beer sometime. Maybe meet at D's Six Pack and Dogs and meet Fetterman who is apparently a regular and doing a good imitation of becoming one of us.

Sleeprider, never been much of a beer drinker but I am always up for some Bourbon or Scotch whisky. Check out the The Coxcomb, if you haven't already. They serve a hearty Old Fashioned. We should compare notes after the dust settles from the implosion. Should only be a few weeks left in this saga for the company. Much worse situation for the patients that were harmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
To anyone's knowledge, have the refurbished DS1s been refurbished with the same insulation which has proven problematic in the DS2?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepish, I can't imagine an alternative. It was not the original PUR foam and once Philips adopted the silicone foam for the DS 2 I'm sure that was use in refurbishing the old units.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only communication on my Dream Station go was a offer for $500.00 or replacement I opted for replacement and I suppose I am getting Screwed over by this as well. I guess our Government is going to let them leave Thousands of defective machines in the hands of users when they were recalled.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen here and elsewhere claims that the replacements are themselves not safe.
Is there any consensus on this thread about if the replacement machines are safe to use or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2024, 11:47 AM)dmh Wrote: I have seen here and elsewhere claims that the replacements are themselves not safe.
Is there any consensus on this thread about if the replacement machines are safe to use or not?

Safe? Flip a coin, maybe you got a 'good' one. FDA has warned about toxic formaldehyde emissions from the silicone-based foam and 'thermal events' due to electrical or a mechanical malfunction of the machine, which may cause it to overheat in certain situations. FDA and Philips can't even come to a consensus on the safety defects. 

From the FDA:

• Unplug the CPAP machine and do not use it if:
    • you smell burning, smoke, or any unusual odors,
    • there is a change in the appearance of the CPAP machine,
    • there are unexplained changes to the CPAP machine’s performance,
    • water is spilled into the CPAP machine,
    • you hear unusual sounds coming from the CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2024, 08:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sheepish, I can't imagine an alternative.  It was not the original PUR foam and once Philips adopted the silicone foam for the DS 2 I'm sure that was use in refurbishing the old units.

So, potentially carcinogenic polyurethane foam, or potentially carcinogenic formaldehyde-emitting silicone foam? 

If constrained to just those two choices, which would you go with?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 65 2,967 46 minutes ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,626 10 hours ago
Last Post: tobiathan
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 17 794 Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jayhyouk Oh
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 436 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,100 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,963 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,251 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.