Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not able to bring my AHI reading down
RE: Not able to bring my AHI reading down
Hi Cliffh,
Great results.   like

It looks like your minimum pressure may need to be closer to the median pressure which is around 12cm.  You can run with the current setting a few days to see if AHI lowers any further, or you can start to raise the minimum pressure slowly by .5cm daily until you see a decrease in the Obsructives.  If you start to see a rise in Clear Airway Events, then either back off on the minimum pressure a bit or my preference is to set EPR to 2 or 1.

Next time you post data, you only need to show the following graphs:  Events, Pressure, Leak Rate, Snores, and Flow Limitation.  Include the left sidebar as you did above, but you can leave off the pie chart.  The rest of the graphs aren't needed unless we see a problem.  This way, you whittle it down to one graph.  

Good luck and don't make too many changes at once.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose has given you some good suggestions. On the SleepyHead charts if there is anything you can do to show more vertical height it would be helpful so you can put more variables on one screen. Might be the limit of your computer if you are going full screen before you capture though. You can click on the grey bars between graphs to drag them larger or smaller. 

The pie chart is tricky to disable. Go to File, Preferences, Appearance, and uncheck the box that says show pie chart.

As for variables to show, I like to put Pressure at the top but under the Event Flags, then mask pressure next, Flow Limitation, Snore, Flow Rate, and Leak Rate. The reason I like to see Flow Limitation and Snore is that they are used by ResMed to bump pressure up, as well as OA events. It lets you see better what is going on. But the most important one for now is Pressure, if you could post a chart that includes Pressure, it would be helpful in picking a minimum and maximum pressure. Some do it with the Statistics text box numbers, but I like to see it on a graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I have taken "Squeeze" to the limit, and fitted it on 1 page now.
Hope you are able to decipher what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cliffh

First off, Welcome to the Forum.

Secondly well done on your great results and length of sleep through the night in such a short time.

Thirdly congratulations on getting to sleepyhead display so quickly.

I say the above as most of us, myself included, do not 'get there' so quickly. But then all of us are different. No question here in this forum is a silly question. There is a lot to learn and it is a continual process and the jargon and the charts can be really daunting when we are new to it. I know I was but soon we learn to understand it.

It is clear that your obstructions are in clusters and as noted by Opal Rose and RonAKA these are usually positional with back sleeping and also chin tucking. I use a soft cervical collar to knock my final OSAs off. Try it to see if you can tolerate it.

Your EPR is set at 3, so therefore your EPAP is 16-3 = 13. Rather than increasing your min. I would suggest reducing EPR to 2 and then 1 to see what that does for you. With that your EPAP would be 16-2 = 14.

I started with a titrated level of 16.8 but could not tolerate the high pressure and was advised to turn on EPR. However with sorting leaks out and finally turning off EPR I was able to very slowly reduce down to my current level of 11.2. This was gradual through weeks and months with monitoring the sleepyhead data.

Now with a cervical collar I can return to bouts of back sleeping-unaware during the night- and yet achieved 0 AHI last night. I recommend the collar highly as I know I tuck my chin onto my chest as I drift off to sleep and this is what produces my obstructions, along with my neck physiology.

One last thing, I know you are changing your stats but it would be good to alter your information as you change your pressures etc it as it helps others to quickly assess where you are at.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a soft cervical collar is the way to go here. You have clusters of obstructive events which can be caused by tucking the chin down and in, cutting off the airway. No need to change the EPR. I'd try the collar first before increasing the pressure any more. You can pick up a collar at any drug store or online at Amazon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We need to work on the obstructives. As stated previously, this look mostly positional. Are you sleeping on your back? If yes, you will definitely need to use a soft cervical collar to stop chin tucking.

The minimum pressure needs to be increased to help with obstructives.

Look at the stats on the left side bar, and the median pressure should guide you where it needs to be set. But do this slowly and try the collar too.

The machine will raise pressure in response to flow Limitations and snores. You can see this on the charts. This is also an indication that the minimum pressure should be bumped up.

As far as EPR use, in your case there is no clear reason to change it, unless you see an increase in Clear Airway events. If you do change it, set it to 2cm.

Graph layout is squeezed together too much. Smile My recommendation: Eliminate the mask pressure graph.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 01:37 AM)Cliffh Wrote: Ok, I have taken "Squeeze" to the limit, and fitted it on 1 page now.
Hope you are able to decipher what's going on.

Excellent layout, and one of the easiest ones to decipher that I have seen. If you want to stay with the EPR at 3 you need to increase your maximum pressure. Virtually all of your events are occurring when the pressure is maxed out. It looks like you have near zero leaks, so your mask should be able to handle it, if you can. I would just increase the maximum to 20 and see what happens for a few nights. You should get a significant reduction in OA and H events.

I have done a fair amount of investigation on the pros and cons of EPR. In short without EPR your maximum mask pressure will be lower, but your comfort level may to lower too. No EPR can be easier to get a mask seal with, but you don't seem to be having trouble there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks "Apnea Infant" and all the other guys and girls. That was very informative especially about the EPR.
(Still do not know what it stands for though)
I am really impressed with my readings so far. Getting better by the day.
Someone asked me to display settings as and when I make changes so that they can ascertain what the effects are.
I notice that every day these changes are displayed on the left in the Sleepyhead report.
Managed to get a soft collar so will try it out tonight and show the results tomorrow.

Greetings from Sunny South Africa.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cliffh,

EPR  From the Wiki
Exhalation pressure relief is a CPAP feature that lowers the pressure on a CPAP machine when the patient exhales in an effort to make breathing more comfortable. CPAP machines provide continuous positive airway pressure, making it easier for the patient to inhale, but harder to exhale. Exhalation pressure relief generally offers three possible settings: 1, 2 or 3, with each number signifying the degree of pressure reduction. (A setting of 1 provides the least pressure relief; a setting of 3 provides the greatest relief).

There are several brand-specific terms for exhalation pressure relief. ResMed uses the term EPR. Philips-Respironics uses the term A-Flex for its APAP machines, Bi-Flex for its BiPAP machines, and C-Flex for its CPAP machines.

More good reading:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Sleep-well
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2018, 03:51 AM)Cliffh Wrote: Thanks "Apnea Infant" and all the other guys and girls. That was very informative especially about the EPR.
(Still do not know what it stands for though)
I am really impressed with my readings so far. Getting better by the day.
Someone asked me to display settings as and when I make changes so that they can ascertain what the effects are.
I notice that every day these changes are displayed on the left in the Sleepyhead report.
Managed to get a soft collar so will try it out tonight and show the results tomorrow.

Greetings from Sunny South Africa.

OpalRose had given you a good explanation of what it is. Not all manufacturers do it the same. If you want to know more of the detail there is a good article about it. Google the title of it below to find it.

Comparing expiratory relief in different CPAP machines
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] CPAP Reading Clarification gonzalo 2 142 10-12-2024, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Software for reading data on sd card Durro 1 193 09-22-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need some help reading and fine tuning therapy Blubarb 13 676 09-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: SeePak
  reading data from resmed sd card Rodeo 5 310 09-08-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Been reading and adjusting, ready for advice killoda 4 355 06-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] New to CPAP - OSCAR reading grzkar 11 651 06-13-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  help reading Oscar Data and optimizing cpap settings bangbang24 3 438 05-06-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.