Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not sleeping + non-compliance = Big Mess
Not sleeping + non-compliance = Big Mess
Hi, I just found this forum and I hope someone can help me.  I have had a bipap for approximately 15 years.  I have severe apnea.  I am disabled, and have many physical and emotional issues that interfere with my sleep.  I have always been very faithful in using my bipap, because I think breathing is a good and useful thing.  However, the last few years my sleep has deteriorated.  The sleep clinic that I used to go to frustrated me.  Every time I got a doctor, and I liked all of them to some degree, he left.  I went through four doctors in 6 or 7 years.  I went to a new one there, and he immediately rubbed me the wrong way, and I was done with them.

My PCP at the time sent me to a place that did an at-home test with their own machine, and they had a doctor that would read it.  They recommended some kind of a new machine for me.  I was excited at the thought of less fatigue.  My PCP had a clinic in a small-town hospital, and one day 5 years ago, the hospital suddenly closed.  My records from that test were unobtainable.  The new machine was never ordered, because my supply provider never got around to it.  My new PCP’s solution was to ignore the problem.  A year ago, that PCP retired.  Finally, I have a new one that I love.  He sent me to a pulmonologist.  They were supposedly trying to get those records.  But they forgot.  I finally now know that they cannot obtain any of my sleep records.  Plus, as time has gone on, I have developed a huge resistance and fear of going to bed, no matter how exhausted I am.  So I either only get my bipap on very late, usually 2-5 a.m., or I fall asleep before I get my mask on.  Therefore, according to Medicare, I am not compliant.  Like I said, I’m a mess!  

I don’t think the pulmonologist wants me to go back until I am compliant.  He gave me a sleep hygiene lecture at the time, and I’m trying, but I know I am not there yet.  I feel awful all the time.  I’ve been ordering masks and stuff online and paying for them.  But I need a sleep study and a new machine.  I have had this machine for probably 10+ years, and it keeps telling me its motor life is exceeded.  I can’t even think straight anymore.  I seldom drive because I’m not usually safe.  I wish I could figure out a way to wear my glasses with my full face mask.  That way if I would be reading or something and fall asleep, I would already have my mask on.  I am too stuffed up to breathe through my nose.

Sorry this is so long.  I am so frustrated with myself, and I need to be able to function.  I look at my little dog sleeping on my lap and I am envious.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I would be very grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not sleeping + non-compliance = Big Mess
One thing you can do is use the mask when you read or watch TV. You only have to use it 4 hours a night and it says nothing about and they can't tell if you are asleep. Do use it any change to get during sleep but stay compliant.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Your regular doctor can order a sleep study for you if you want.  You don't need a pulmonary doctor.  But for now, if you download and use Oscar we can help you improve your sleeping very soon.  You may or may not need a new sleep study.

Oscar is a free reporting service that provides a detailed daily chart reporting each night's sleep.  At the top of each page, you will see information on downloading and using Oscar.  You will need an SD card that has 32GB or less storage.  If you don't have one you can get one cheaply at Walmart, at other stores, or online.  You can post charts that will help us analyze the data and then we would be happy to advise you.  Smile

Also, I agree with Staceyburke that using the mask and machine while awake will fill your usage requirements until your therapy improves. Don't give up.  We can make this work!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Stacey and Deborah. My problem with using it in the daytime is trying to read without my glasses. I am going to experiment with wearing them under my mask instead of over it.
Thanks for the info about Oscar. I’m going to try it! That’s pretty nifty!
I’m feeling encouraged.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use audible and download books to listen to rather than read. You can set a timer to go off after a set time- say an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s a great idea! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck. CPAP can be lonely when you are struggling a bit. Be kind to yourself!
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
Sorry to hear of your troubles! I am new to CPAP therapy and I am having similar troubles with sleep disruption due to the position I sleep in.....half stomach/side with one arm under the pillow.
Bottom line......I get NO SLEEP and like you....lie awake all night until I rip the mask off. I'm sure I'll soon get a notice to give their mask back!
You CAN get a new home sleep test with a referral from your Doctor. Good luck and best wishes for better sleep! Could you use a magnifier for reading instead of your glasses? A handheld one or maybe one that lies on the book page or clips to the book?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are masks, both full face and nasal that do not fit over the bridge of your nose and leave a full vision. Take a look at the new Resmed F40 full face mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Julie, the magnifier is another good idea!  I may ask my doctor about a sleep test when I see him in a couple of weeks.   Thank you.
I’m hoping that something here will help both of us.

Sleeprider, I will check out that mask.  Thanks!

I ordered an SD card and will get it tomorrow.  I’m excited to try Oscar.  I’m also finding an audiobook before I go to bed.  I am really hoping that I will get some sleep tonight.  I really want to drive to my counseling appointment in the morning rather than do it on the phone.  It’s only 5-6 minutes away…but at least I can still have my appointment either way.  A speaker at an event once said not to tackle everything at once.  Start by flossing one tooth!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Establishing Compliance Using Two Machines Sleepster 5 154 07-03-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] advice for a side sleeping, mouth breather on a mask? hwnboy 5 384 05-08-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: hwnboy
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 21 1,458 04-28-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 548 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 272 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 484 04-19-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 435 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.