Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes
Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes
I'm trying to help my brother-in-law who's wife has Cheyne Stokes breathing due to heart failure.  Since her EF is less than 45 an ASV is not indicated.  He asked me about the "Remede System by Zoll."  I'm trying to help them.  My understanding is this is an implantable device that places wires in the venous system near the phrenic nerve.  When it senses a loss of signal in the phrenic nerve it stimulates the nerve resulting in diaphragm contraction and a breath taken.  Sounds good although its an invasive way of dealing with the dilemma.  I poked around the web to see what I could learn and everything I pulled up qualified as marketing of one sort or other with the vast majority sourced by Zoll.  I'm looking for some information that is a little less biased.  For example:
* How well does this system work?
* What are the risks and side effects?
* Are there any other ways of dealing with CSA and Cheyne Stokes, aside from ASV that should first be looked at?
* Are patients having success with this?
* Is it well fielded?
I figured someone here would know more about this than I do.  I hope someone can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes
By clicking on the "Search" tab at the very top of the page, and typing in, "phrenic nerve stimulator" I got 6 hits (6 unbiased threads).  You can look at these if you want to.  

It seems like from all the threads and posts that I have personally read here at ApneaBoard, using pap therapy is more helpful than harmful when dealing with heart failure.  I have read posts where members LVEF actually increased by using pap (most used the more advanced machines). I am not a Dr. though.  Your brother-in-law's wife should definitely consult with her Dr.'s on this.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes
Thanks Jay51.  I reviewed all of those post and found it to be worthwhile, although it seems there are still not any users of these phrenic stimulators who have reported back with their experiences.  Maybe Motorheadrulz in post 10 here https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...stimulator will follow up soon with his experiences.
In the meantime I'd like to see what others have to say about these phrenic stimulators.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,001 414,323 Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Last Post: btreger
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 219 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 50 2,151 09-13-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: RVSleeper
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 39 2,037 09-10-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  epr and cheynes stokes Gailofiowa 3 226 09-09-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Treatment Emergent Central Apnea mikesj 13 743 09-09-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Oscar Missing Apneas or Cheyne Stokes? Westernsleep 2 181 09-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.