Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense
RE: Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense
Using a Brita water filter pitcher would still be less costly than using distilled water. We use that for our drinking water, as well as bottled water. 

Our tap water here has calcium (at least that's what I've been told) in it. All that I know is that I've been using tap water in my CPAP and it's been fine. Been doing that since late 2018. 

What little mineral deposits that build up, are quickly dispatched by some White Vinegar.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used tap water in my neti pot for many years with no problem.  Because some claim it can cause problems, I have recently added a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the salt.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
directly from the FDA website. 

I'm not interested in some debate on the merits of the FDA. I'm just copy/pasting from their web page.

Personally, I'll stick with distilled, or previously boiled (1 minute minimum) tap water. 

Tap water isn’t safe for use as a nasal rinse because it’s not adequately filtered or treated. Some tap water contains low levels of organisms — such as bacteria and protozoa, including amoebas — that may be safe to swallow because stomach acid kills them. But in your nose, these organisms can stay alive in nasal passages and cause potentially serious infections. They can even be fatal in some rare cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2024, 08:47 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: You'd still probably want to rinse with vinegar on occasion. Distilled water is not at all necessary. If you make your own, then OK. But why add to the expense of using CPAP?

I live in a very hard water area, even when i boil my kettle for tea i end up with a high level of limescale in both my kettle and in my tea, so i think it would be better for that reason
Post Reply Post Reply
It's your choice, so do what you feel is right when it comes to CPAP therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to keep two Resmed Airsense 10s running when power turned off? TwoSleepy 4 171 11 hours ago
Last Post: TwoSleepy
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 98 47,669 10-20-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: e727147
  Resmed airsense 11 water tank super7pilot 7 233 10-20-2024, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Discombobulated
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 96 35,119 10-18-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: frolic
  [Equipment] Higher AHI Readings on AirSense 11 than AirSense 10 Bmck8381 0 98 10-17-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Bmck8381
  ASV Questions DreadPirateRawburts 1 147 10-07-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 16 1,206 10-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.