Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Other masks to try?
Other masks to try?
Pretty new to CPAP, just a few weeks.  Going pretty well, but I feel like I haven't found the perfect mask for me.  

My doctor gave me a P10 and a Dreamwear to try.  In almost every way I prefer the P10 so far.  I find it much easier to exhale when using it - it feels like there's less resistance.  Also just like having less material and less weight on my head.  But the one thing I don't like about the P10 is that I find it's irritating my nostrils having the pillows pressed into them all night.  I wake up with a sore nose and it's starting to hurt when I put it on so I think the irritation is building up.

Based on the above, are there any other masks y'all would recommend that I try?  I think I'd like to stick with nasal, expect I would feel claustrophobic with my mouth and nose covered.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Other masks to try?
Hello and Happy New Year!

As an alternative.  the F&P. Breveda excellent. It is super quiet as with an air diffuser.

Concerning soreness, you could either loosen one side of the mask that presses against the pillow, or use a very small quantity of lip salve, being careful not to use too much, as it could compromise the seal.

However, this mask has excellent sealing properties as can tolerate a fairly loose mask. 
It's trial and error to get it just right.

One thing to watch for,  are leaks by mouth during deep sleep. 

This is always a potential issue with either nasal or pillows masks. There are several solution, I like many, I use mouth tape. 

Always best to be vigilant.

You are starting with a very good machine, The AirSense 10 !
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried larger pillows with the P10?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2024, 05:03 AM)Expat3 Wrote: Concerning soreness, you could either loosen one side of the mask that presses against the pillow

One thing to watch for,  are leaks by mouth during deep sleep.

Yeah I wondered if it was too tight.  But the strap is as loose as it can get.  I do have a large head.  Does anyone know if they make different sizes of strap for the P10?

The CPAP machine always reports good leak rating (smiley face) and low events.  Is that enough to go on that leaks by mouth aren't an issue for me?  I do I need to analyze some OSCAR data to really know?

(01-01-2024, 10:46 AM)paulag1955 Wrote: Have you tried larger pillows with the P10?

I have not.  The clinic did some fitting and recommended the medium size pillows which I've been using.
Why would you recommend going larger?
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly all the problems with the P10 arise from using a pillow size too small. Try the large and the cushion should seal outside the nostrils on the nares. Much more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2024, 12:52 PM)acordeon Wrote: The CPAP machine always reports good leak rating (smiley face) and low events.  Is that enough to go on that leaks by mouth aren't an issue for me? 

Reply: Not really, as say the majority of your leaks are very low, but you have a few large leaks causing disruption to your therapy. I think it may not be picked by the smiley face, as the average works out to be pretty low.

Do need to analyze some OSCAR data to really know?

Reply: Yes, of course. All your leaks will we visible graphically You can then relate them to other graphs, such as pressure, flow limitation, events etc, and get a complete picture.

Just a quick reminder if you are posting charts, it helps a lot to use the standard graph order as follows:-

1.Events
2.Flow rate
3.Pressure
4.Leak rate
5.Flow limitation

Also to  resize  by eliminating the calendar and pie chart, to create sufficient  space  to make the settings section clearly visible.

For full explanation on posting and charts click please click 
here

Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharing my observations on refreshing old f30i masks erouting 10 437 08-28-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: erouting
  Some masks better for pressures above ~8? UsuallyTired 11 524 08-18-2024, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry [Equipment] Masks all either cause pressure sores or blow off my face middleofnowhere 10 465 07-10-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 675 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 387 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Trying other masks chzuck 10 487 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks wvdthree 5 402 06-07-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.