Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips BiPAP Breathing Difficulty
Philips BiPAP Breathing Difficulty
I’m using a Philips Dreamstation BiPAP device for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. 

When I inhale I get air coming into the mask but it feels like half way through inhaling it suddenly stops giving me air and expecting me to exhale too early.

Is there any setting I can try adjusting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips BiPAP Breathing Difficulty
Hi indreams Smile

Is it the auto bipap or the regular bipap dreamstation?  I've used both.  can you share a screenshot of the settings please?

Also what mode is it running?

If rise time is too short that can do it, or if trigger is too high, or if PS gap is too high it can also cause this.

Regards,

Peter
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2024, 10:23 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Hi indreams Smile

Is it the auto bipap or the regular bipap dreamstation?  I've used both.  can you share a screenshot of the settings please?

Also what mode is it running?

If rise time is too short that can do it, or if trigger is too high, or if PS gap is too high it can also cause this.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm using the Auto BiPAP, running Auto-BiPAP mode. I'm actually very new to this and still exploring settings, I visited the shop here in Hong Kong and the only thing they recommended is the Min/Max EPAP and using Flex level 3.

You'll see in the past two days I've had to take off the mask because I couldn't breath naturally.

BTW I'm diagnosed with severe OSA, reason for using BiPAP is because my father had a spare and I'm trying it to avoid spending money on buying a CPAP/APAP.

Thanks for your help Smile

Ken

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks for the data indreams. I'd rather get you dialed in on cpap before moving it over to autobipap (I've used this model DS1 before-it's a good machine-once it's remediated of the bad foam or replacing the motor airchamber with a non-foam airchamber) again as you are having tons of issues with these settings. I can send basic dreamstation autob titration protocol but since you have only OSA I really believe cpap mode will feel much better (it does for me and I've tried both modes) Smile

It is capable of running either bipap auto or cpap mode. So set it to CPAP mode for tonight please @ 14cm of cpap pressure with cflex+ enabled on 2. Try this tonight or today for 30 minutes to see how it feels, breathing should be much smoother and more natural. Also please make sure you're sleeping not propped up and on your sides as much as you are able.

P
Post Reply Post Reply
I lowered the PS Min from 3 to 2 and the problem went away thankfully. I'm now down to AHI 4.50 last night.

Here's my new graph from last night, I think I'd want to stay with BiPAP mode because breathing feels natural and it feels good. Do you think there's anything else I can do to further lower my AHI?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Okay, thanks for the data indreams.  I'd rather get you dialed in on cpap before moving it over to autobipap (I've used this model DS1 before-it's a good machine-once it's remediated of the bad foam or replacing the motor airchamber with a non-foam airchamber) again as you are having tons of issues with these settings.  I can send basic dreamstation autob titration protocol but since you have only OSA I really believe cpap mode will feel much better (it does for me and I've tried both modes) Smile

It is capable of running either bipap auto or cpap mode.   So set it to CPAP mode for tonight please @ 14cm of cpap pressure with cflex+ enabled on 2.   Try this tonight or today for 30 minutes to see how it feels, breathing should be much smoother and more natural.  Also please make sure you're sleeping not propped up and on your sides as much as you are able.

P

So I had to give it a try since it’s a recommendation, and it feels ok Smile. No doubt BiPAP mode feels more natural. There’s some slight upper chest discomfort and my stomach feels bloated in an uncomfortable way but I guess this requires getting used to.

How do you know my setting should be 14cm? I’m wondering if I could lower it to see whether I could reduce the discomfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Double posted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 41 1,894 10-11-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing sleepingbetterinFl 29 966 10-09-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Breathing noise carmdf 1 141 10-08-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,003 420,585 10-08-2024, 08:06 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 36 1,241 10-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 68 10,248 10-02-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: btreger
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,208 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.