Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with treatment review
RE: Please help with treatment review
Dave, you have some major leaking going on.  I assume your mask isn't fitting properly,  or the mask moves at night when you move.  Are you a restless sleeper?
Is there any chance your mouth drops open at the bottom of the mask?  I'm just throwing stuff out there as I just don't know.  You checked the hose connections right?  Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
obviously a large steady leak, but intermittent over time. Do you tend to roll, back to side? that could open the mask up for these kinds of leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Roll a lot.

Thanks Gideon.

I've found that my soft cervical collar helps me a lot. With this mask the bottom two straps come off easily.

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose thanks.

Bottom hose is key. I've Found it leaks a lot. I have to put ito n very carefully. It's not a circle. Oval? Last night after waking up i turned it 180 degrees and put it on so carefully.

I've tried over 10 full face masks over the last 6? years. This is the only one that works (sometimes) and only the second one I can keep on for more than an hour.

Thanks!
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Doc said
3 choices
Do nothing
Some stents
Open heart surgery

I’ll hear from too doc in a week and learn more

Dave
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave
Ugh. Not fun choices. 
I take it the angiogram showed some blockages?
Sorry for the rough news.
You might have one other choice that kinda of feels like "do nothing" but isn't. 
Medications.

The best solution usually depends on lots of different factors. My Dad had to make the same decision this past summer. 
I asked multiple cardiologists what they would recommend if it was their Dad in that seat.
You might be in a very different seat than my Dad but there was no way he would have made it through open heart surgery and the difficult recovery that follows.
Stents weren't an option because of his kidney function-- the amount of contrast they have to use for stents would have knocked out his kidneys and lead to dialysis.
Dad considers dialysis a show stopper.

If you don't have very impaired kidney function...  stents are a pretty good solution. Fairly easy procedure and recovery. 
The concern with stents is future blockages. Possible but could also never happen.

He chose medications. Multiple expensive medications that all work to protect from heart attack and stroke.
1. Make the blood thinner. 
2. Make the blood more slippery. 
3. Slow down plaque build up.
4. Make each heart contraction stronger.
5. Control the pace of heart contraction/relaxation. 
6. Control the pressure.
(Also diet avoiding fats and sodium)

Medications have stabilized his heart and improved his EF from 30% to 41%.
Still not good, but no longer circling the drain.
Yes, he still has some very serious blockages in there but those took 70+ years to cause issues in the first place.
The goal is to just slow down progression and avoid 100% blockage.

Of course your mileage may vary but I share to let you know heart blockages do not have to feel like a death sentence. 
I hope it's helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Brazen. Helps a lot

My Father died same age after refusing open heart surgery
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
In fact there was no talk about medications when I was given choices. My hat is off to you Brazen. Thank you!

DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Brazen lots of blockages. Guessing 4 or 5 stents. Portion of my heart is enlarged.

I'm happier now than I was before the procedure. Now I have respect for the surgical team and appreciate knowing what the health issues are.

There is another choice. Buy a Harley and ride. ;-) Been too long without a bike.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Losing father to the same issue definitely creates feelings and stress about it all.

Get multiple medical opinions. 
The trouble is that Surgeons will tell you surgery is the best option, cardiologists will likely tell you stents are the best option, and only if those two things aren't options (due to comorbidities) will you possibly hear about meds.

I wouldn't refuse open heart if they are confident you would have a positive outcome (Surgeons tend to avoid surgery on folks likely to die on their table).

4-5 stents are easier to recover from than open heart.
If you're a good candidate for stents.

With open heart...
Consider how you stand from a sitting position right now... do you use your arms to help lift yourself or can you stand using only your legs?
After open heart you will have months of no weight on your arms. Can you get off bed/chair/toilet without using your arms?
If you can't... start practicing and building your leg/butt muscles now if you're going to have open heart surgery. 

And I always support buying a bike. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] APAP Settings Review falcon940 2 180 10-23-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: falcon940
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 25 1,543 10-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ac123
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,486 10-22-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Review My Oscar Data; Any Recommendations? Websurfer49 1 109 10-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help With CPAP Treatment (Oscar Help) Bosox6177 2 148 10-19-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bosox6177
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 241 10-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 246 10-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.