Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure?
Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure?
In 2022, I was diagnosed via in-lab study with OSA with an AHI of 14.8, all hypopneas, with mild hypoxemia (a two-second nadir at 88% and a mean of 93%), and no snoring. 

Since then, I've been using CPAP (Resmed Airsense 11 with Dreamwear mask) with a minimum pressure of 5 and a maximum pressure of 20, EPR set at 1. My CPAP has always reported a low AHI, generally between 1-2. My mask fit is excellent; no reported leaks.

During that time, my GP and a cardiologist (I got routine checkups from both) expressed doubts about my diagnosis; it took three studies to find a diagnosable AHI (an at-home test and a prior in-lab both returned AHI of 1.3), I don't snore, my BMI is 21, my symptoms are mild, and as far as they can tell I'm in excellent physical health. I harbored doubts, too; after several months of exemplary compliance, CPAP was having no significant effect on my symptoms (fatigue, eyelid twitches, brain fog, low mood). 

Last month, I learned I could adjust my own pressure settings via my CPAP's clinical menu, and I decided to experiment with lowering my max pressure. This was in part to reduce awakenings from air blasts and in part to see whether my AHI would climb as my CPAP pressure dropped. 

For the last week, I've been using a minimum pressure of 5 and a maximum pressure of 7, and my AHI has been very low, generally between 0.0 and 0.5. The clinical menu reports no obstructive or central apneas, which I assume means my few events are hypopneas, which aligns with my in-lab studies. My symptoms continue to wax and wane with no apparent correlation to what happens between me and my CPAP.

Is this drop in AHI during my low-pressure experiment significant? Is it a glitch? Is it actionable information, or should I put it out of mind? I'll be grateful for any guidance.

As a side note: I'm a lifelong sufferer of major-depression and major-anxiety disorders. This feels relevant but might not be.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure?
Would it be possible for you to post some OSCAR charts showing the before and after you changed the settings? The links in my signature explain how to download and install OSCAR, and how to format and post the charts. 
If you have the sleep study you can redact your personal information and post that as well. The more data we get the better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure?
I'll work on that, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get my CPAP chip to talk to my MacBook. I'll follow your link and do my best.

More to come, hopefully...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 183 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  Interpreting OSCAR data (relatively new CPAP user) bolivar98 14 630 09-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Video [Pressure] Changing pressure on cpap fudo 3 164 08-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: fudo
  Help adjusting CPAP--High Pressure Waking Me pharmdfl 3 214 08-25-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  returning APAP'er, help interpreting OSCAR please :) tml678 2 203 08-21-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: tml678
Question Z2 pressure vs Airsense11 pressure jwalker5 2 137 08-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jwalker5
  Understanding graphs and reducing CA's SBHill 7 255 08-16-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.