Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throat and windpipe full every morning.
Throat and windpipe full every morning.
I have been using a ResMed med air since 11 nine hours a night for the past four months.

Every morning when I wake up, my throat is full of phlegm and it takes me an hour to get it cleared out. I have tried everything that I know of with the machine. I have raised humidity, lowered humidity, turn humidity completely off, but nothing works.

I’ve changed tube temperature, pressure setting, and even changed mask brands.

I talked to the pulmonary therapist at Lincare. He’s got no idea. I talked to my otolaryngologist. He’s got no idea. I talked to my pulmonologist, he says I may have to learn to live with it.

This is nothing that I want to learn to live with. I sound like an old model T trying to start for an hour and a half every morning. It’s not fared on my wife or our dog.

I eventually get it all cleared out, but it’s a big nuisance.

Another of the problems is that I am a broadcaster and I do a radio program every morning at 9:30.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Throat and windpipe full every morning.
Phlegm (mucus) in the throat:  From sinus/nasal passages, lungs, or stomach.  Do you have acid reflux?  You may need to raise your torso/head (at the risk of more apnea). Allergies?  Have you tried an antihistamine?  Lungs?  Viruses, bacteria clinging to mask/hoses can be blown into lungs/bronchioles causing irritation, inflammation, disease.  Make sure equipment is cleaned/disinfected/replaced per manufacturer's suggestions.  Consider each possible source and measures you may take to reduce the problem.  Seems like a trial and error approach may be necessary if none of the health professionals can pinpoint the problem and assist you in mitigating it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try taking 1,000 mg N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered using a respiratory relief device like a lung flute or flutter device to help clear secretions in the morning? Also, are you adequately hydrated?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried every setting from 0 to 86% and everything in between.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you get some NAC to try?  That should help with your terrible drainage.  Guaifenesin is an over the counter medicine that also helps by thinning mucus and making it easier to control.  Get the 400 mg tablets if you buy some.

I have tiny sinuses and poor drainage, so I have been using Guaifenesin for years.  I added the NAC a few months ago and it is helping too.  When I use a neti pot, almost nothing comes out now.  That was never the case before adding the NAC.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 10 2,076 09-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  Considering full face mask until I can fix my nasal breathing Ptee8899 11 617 08-25-2024, 08:13 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Full face mask and spare cushion recommendation faine 2 257 08-25-2024, 01:33 AM
Last Post: faine
  P10 Nasal Pillows to F40 Airfit Full Face Mask Settings? stevesleep 3 266 08-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Full Face Mask Leaks berkshire17 15 2,772 08-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: gymrat
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 4 294 08-10-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Questions cnpeters 5 309 08-09-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.