Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] relief from high pressure
relief from high pressure
Hello,

I've been a cpap user for about 11 years. My at home study showed 37 events per hour. I've used my first machine prescribed for about 10 of those years, with recently upgrading to the Airsense 10. During those initial 10 years I never went back to dr to get any kind of adjustments or additional sleep studies. Every once in a while I would upload data to oscar to see the effectiveness of my therapy. Those few times that I checked it had shown good results, usually 1-2 AHI. 

I got into a relationship about 9 years ago in which she told me throughout the night that I would still stop breathing multiple times during the night despite wearing my original cpap. This prompted me to contact the VA to get issued a new machine. During my appointment for the new machine the tech let me know that my pressure had been set to 13, despite the original prescription stating a lower setting. Upon fitting of the mask, she set the new machine to this prescribed setting, and when trying on the mask with the machine running, i felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. Apparently at some point during those 10 years of unsupervised therapy I had somehow set the setting to manual at 13. 

Long story short, the prescribed setting isn't providing enough pressure for me, and as a result, I have set the new machine to the 13 pressure setting. I feel this is great for me when I go to bed. I don't use ramp setting - as soon as I put on the mask the pressure starts immediately. 

My question is this: is it okay that I am comfortable with a 13 pressure setting? Is there any risk to getting more pressure than initially prescribed? The tech said it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to check with you fine folks to see if this is okay. 

47yr old male, 195lbs, 5'11
taking prescribed psychiatric meds
daily vaper

Note: airsense app gives report every morning of usually .5- 1 AHI, rarely fluctuating. Overall score is good: proper mask fit, minimal removal, etc. I usually feel pretty rested upon waking up. Thank you in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: relief from high pressure
You are of course free to be in charge of your own therapy. That's why this forum exists. If 13 works for you, that's your call.

It would be great to check out your data through OSCAR; have you been recording data onto an SD card?

Post Reply Post Reply
yes i have. I do have the airsense 10 with corresponding app. Do they provide a report online with data shown similar to oscar? I've only had the new machine for a couple of months. Thanks for your response!
Post Reply Post Reply
the myAir app is almost useless in comparison to OSCAR. I would download it onto a PC, then import the SD card and provide a few sample nights as necessary.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 13 274 6 hours ago
Last Post: gregbe2000
  [CPAP] CPAP and Overactive Bladder relief dandy48 6 149 09-16-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Optimizing CPAP - high pressures adlondon 3 207 09-13-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: georgesadam
  pattern in high resolution mask pressure in resmed device rberry1 1 152 09-11-2024, 07:51 PM
  Is high pressure better - help to optimize grzkar 1 171 09-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [Equipment] High leakage for high pressure michaeljayb 5 217 09-01-2024, 08:05 PM
  New User 1 week, still high AHis, thoughts? JacksonMahoney 4 218 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.