Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

QUITING CPAP
Exclaimation 
QUITING CPAP
Doctor says CPAP is no longer needed ! Ten (10) years of CPAP that started with amazing results starting the first night. 300+ apneas to begin with. Was told to get my funeral plans made.

It took about a year to really feel better. Have seen improvement and now face a decision.

With my current AHI of less than one (1) most of the time doctor says give it up. I have know for a long time that AHI was falling below the level of 5 that they want as a lower limit on ordering CPAP.

My lung damage is progressing and SPO2 levels are low. Doctor says to keep using oxygen. I feel better staying on the CPAP with oxygen.

Looking for suggestions. Would you stop CPAP or maybe lower the pressures and see what happens?

Thank You all for being a great group of people. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: QUITING CPAP
Don’t go down that rabbit hole with this Doctor.  Your results just show cpap is taking care of your apnea. Get tested again, and use your results as a second opinion. let the data help you with this decision.

You can always do both with that attachment that you probably already have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without another sleep study I can't see how your doctor can say you no longer need CPAP.

You could try one night without CPAP, and see how your SPO2 does.  I forgot to re-connect my mask one night after a bathroom break, but my pulse oximeter was still running.  In that 1.5 hours before reconnecting I saw tons of huge SPO2 drops, telling me that w/o CPAP I still had lots of events.  AHI in my sleep study was 77 per hour, now on CPAP it averages 2-3.

I'm just a CPAP newbie; interested in what the experts think.  But you need to post oscar data if you want input from experts on reducing pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightynite is spot on. Without a sleep study it is guessing. Amateurs guess, then apologise afterwards. Shame on your doctor for making such a silly statement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea is a treatable health condition, but not curable. Most that are diagnosed with it, will have it permanently. Yes, a few that have Apnea due to obesity can do well with low AHI with weight loss, but that's not a cure either.

This quack is playing with your health badly and I would consider this as related to malpractice.

Echoing others comments, where was the sleep study report proving doctors claim? If this is based off of see what your CPAP shows, this is during the treatment.

Further, there's no evidence to edit therapy in any way, stay the course.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have end stage copd (emphysema).  It doesn't matter to me that I don't have any or very few apnea events.  I have good days and bad days.  But I have learned that day or night, if I'm having trouble breathing, I can turn on my machine and enjoy watching tv or whatever for a while without struggling too much.  I have just been provided a bipap machine on the advice of my pulmonologist and  I love it.  Don't quit just because your doctor says you don't need it anymore.  Be the judge of that yourself depending on how it makes your feel.  Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
P.S., What are your SP02 levels? It's generally considered that guys like you and I are better of around 90-92, although I seem to feel better at about 96. The biggest problem we have is to get the co2 out of our bloodstream. So deep inhales, ans deep exhales are beneficial. That's another reason a cpap even when you're awake will make you feel better, and why my new bipap is making a great difference in how I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice to have you back retired_guy. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My treated AHI averages below 1.0. However, pull the cord and I'll nearly choke to death within hours. As others mentioned, find another MD.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was about 7 years since my last sleep test and even with a fairly low pressure on my CPAP my AHI has been consistently < 3. I asked my physician if she thought I still needed to use the CPAP so she ordered a new sleep for me. Since I have heart related issues she wouldn't order it as at home test. Results of the test was an AHI of 38. I guess I'll keep using the CPAP!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.