Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions for newly diagnosed
RE: Questions for newly diagnosed
(03-27-2024, 08:52 PM)OttSteve Wrote: The lab is better, but it's a bit of an ordeal.  I went to the lab, where they put me in a gurney, covered me with sensors and seemingly miles of wires and then said go to sleep, all while watching me on CCTV.  I think I finally fell asleep at about 4 AM, just before I was about to leave.  The doc did get a good 45 minutes of data, which was more than enough for diagnosis. 

I wouldn't worry about the accuracy of your test. With the data from your loaner trial, the input of the provider and this forum, you should be in good shape.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2024, 04:28 PM)MaskedOne Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I'm relatively new to PAP therapy and scored a 17 AHI on my sleep test.  I'm in my 60s and tiredness began to settle in on me in my mid-50s. I marked it down as the onset of old age. Coincidentally, my wife's complaints about my snoring also began.  I had no knowledge about apneas, obstructed sleep, or PAP therapy back then.  I took the sleep test at my wife's urging and when it came back "moderate" I felt it proved that I was sleeping fine.  As I researched the sleep test results in detail, and considered what they meant, especially in the long term, it began to dawn on me that I had a serious problem.

I began PAP therapy with a lot of skepticism, reassuring myself I could toss it all in a yard sale box if (when) it proved unnecessary.  
On the first night, I was so quiet my wife stayed in bed with me all night and has stayed ever since.
Within 2 weeks, I felt more rested: I was not falling asleep every time I sat still for a while.  
Within a month, the afternoon naps were part of my past.  And I did not fall asleep in the car when my wife was driving.

I encourage you to read the PAP therapy guide.
This forum will provide great advice and guidance.  The recommendation for a ResMed 10 is one such example.
Expect your own PAP therapy to have its ups and downs (good nights, bad nights) but it will put you on a healthy trajectory.
It has been a game changer for me.

These kind of stories are great, really gets me excited to start therapy. I don’t want to get my hopes too high, but all of this would makes sense as to why I can never really feel rested. 

I have tried all these different things, CBT for insomnia, supplements, blood work, sleeping pills, no sleeping pills, I lost a bunch of weight at one point (not because anyone told me I might have apnea but just because) and never gotten anywhere. I was at the point where I was telling myself I guess this is just life, and it must by how everyone else feels. 

Apnea had crossed my mind but I just didn’t present any of the hallmarks, not over weight, don’t snore etc etc.  Thankfully I advocated for myself and pushed for the sleep study to “rule apnea out”, and guess it came back positive. 

Thanks for the positive words.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of good advise here. Stay in frequent contact during your thirty day equipment trial. This forum will help you adjust to therapy & mask, as well as adjust your therapy pressures, timing and tuning to optimize the benefit of *PAP therapy. They will also assist with mask selections & recommendations, ( always go for a fit pack, it usually has several sizes, you may lose or gain weight in the near future). 

During that initial trial period you want to ensure the machine they provide will be the  best  one to serve your needs. Post your sleep studies as soon as possible, be sure to redact your personnel information. we have some very knowledgeable people who can recommend the best machine to get.  There are some machines that have a much wider application than others due to special timing and tuning features as well as range of pressure. 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up my trial machine today, I'm going to start a separate post about my therapy where I will post the setting the practitioner set it up with to start out with.

Here we go!

Thanks for everything so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post some OSCAR Reports, inquiring minds are curious to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2024, 01:43 PM)UnicornRider Wrote: Post some OSCAR Reports, inquiring minds are curious to see.

Posting in my other thread that I started!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV Questions DreadPirateRawburts 1 138 10-07-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 16 1,175 10-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 646 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Three weeks in - Some questions SleepyDwarf123 6 1,016 09-29-2024, 07:16 AM
Last Post: SDM1
  Just diagnosed need direction. wclement7 2 213 09-20-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Few Questions APAPNewbie 7 437 08-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] Diagnosed with mild OSA - Could this be UARS? roroboon 11 623 07-31-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.