Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
I had the smell problem with my airsense 10 elite about 10 days ago.

My Resmed Airsense Elite is 5 years old.

It smelled like a campfire to me.

Asked my wife if she smelled anything.

She went to window, and said no smell.

I have only smelled this once.

My water level was fine, etc. etc. etc. ( i have had similar smells as reported by others, when my water ran out of humidifier.)

I have since turned off my humidification, but leaving water in reservoir.

I have a very acute sense of smell, and i am surprised, in light of other posts, that i have NOT smelled this again.

However, i have had very bad sinus issues for awhile, so i too am concerned i have a bad machine!

Coincidentally, i am looking to replace my machine( having restless incomplete sleep), hopefully with VAUTO, will update with any smell concerns i have....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dawg,  I checked the floor under the unit as you asked and it looks like the simulated wood grain in that spot has been smoothened out. The unit removed the high spots in the vinyl plank floor!  It has been on that spot from 2018 at least.  The burned plastic stench really started last year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
Hello Sleeprider

This filter modification for my AS10 is ready for a night of testing. The O2 concentrator filter appears to fit the bill. It had a slight glue like odor right out of the sealed package so i ran a vaccuum through it to vent it. It was necessary to increase the intake holes in the filter to eliminate any hissing. The series of 1/8" holes did the trick. The 1/2" hole in the middle was to remove any plastic drilling debri. See attached 3 photos.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had an Airsense 11 for 8 months and during that time I have experienced a burning smell 10 or 15 times.  I use it every night.  I continue to use the machine because the smell is not that bad but it is a little disconcerting.  It must be coming from the machine because I have switched humidification, hoses, masks etc and still get the smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very clean and effective looking filtration solution. Thanks for posting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have used it for 20 hours and the AirSense10 reponded normally, so I'm going to refine it a little by changing the connecting fittings from plastic to stainless steel. Also, changing the filter from the generic blue filter (slight glue smell) to an Invacare Oxygen Concentrator filter that has a threaded connection. Waiting for parts and will post when done.

While I have never experienced the burning smell, i would suspect that it is a buildup of filter debri, or dust collected on the blower vanes  breaking loose occasionally  and passing through the blower motor. The way Remed designed this, the air flow is from the fitered inlet into the pnuematic block, through a foam pad, into the blower motor and out the other end of the Pnuematic Block. The filtered air essentially cools the blower motor which gets warm when used for hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider

Attached is the final build of my AirSense 10 filter improvement. It works great. Totally clean air, no odors at all, no stuffy nose in the morning. Took a couple of tries to find the right filter cartridges from a noise standpoint. An inexpenssive respirator mask provided the bayonette conectors and gaskets. Build, not including previous failures, was about $25. There are also adapters from bayonette to 40mm available. I am happy to provide build details to anyone interested. 

If anyone builds one, please be certain to have a working smoke detector in the immediate area. The contaminates these filters remove includes smoke.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
So, is that a project box with two organic/HEPA filters connected with tubing to the CPAP? Looks like a powered air purifying respirator (PAPR).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct on the build. There is no power involved. It operates on the suction of the CPAP machine. I went with 2 filters to keep flow resistance low and not overload the CPAP motor. The project box just provides structure and could be considerably smaller.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been having the same problem, exactly as you have been having.  I have noticed that people try to help give suggestions on what might be wrong.  They are not reading your post carefully.  This is not a user problem!!!!  The machines are defective, and the problem is extremely dangerous.

What is interesting, is that if you go to the Res Med Facebook page, you will not see any post regarding this. But, if you will go to Google and search  "Res Med 10 plastic smell" then scroll down until you see one that says "Facebook Res Med 10 plastic smell" and click on that, you will see that there are a lot of users that are having the same problem!

I have woken up gagging, with my throat on fire and my head pounding from the nauseas smell.  And the smell stays in your nostrils for hours. It is extremely scary, as I don't know how long that I have been breathing it in, and what future health problems I might end up with from it. 

This has happened night after night on two different machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed Airsense 10 v 11 kmar92 5 144 09-05-2024, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Pressure] Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Turpentine 6 235 08-28-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 96 43,022 08-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  [CPAP] 8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise JonMichael85 8 15,931 08-23-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: xirokx
  Resmed Airsense 10 APAP? daBee 33 1,742 08-15-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: daBee
  [Equipment] Bait and Switch, RESMED Airsense 10 vs RESMED 11 Caribou007 7 450 07-12-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - Failure Mode? mcman56 3 347 07-09-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.