Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] What should a normal heart rate graph look like during sleep?
What should a normal heart rate graph look like during sleep?
Hello,

I have been recording PulseOx data along with my usual OSCAR data and have many pulse spikes throughout the night (25-30+ times per night). 

After extensive experimenting with pressure and EPR, I have concluded that I am unable to tolerate higher pressure (discomfort/a lot of aerophagia), and will be seeking a BiLevel prescription from my doctor.

Does anyone have some PulseOx data/graph that shows what a HR/O2 graph SHOULD look like over the course of a night? I would like to know what I should aim for my PulseOx data to look like.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What should a normal heart rate graph look like during sleep?
I don't have an exact graph, but I can describe what normal should look like.  

1st - SPO2 - As long as you stay above say, 90 or better yet 92 all night (your lowest spikes don't go below this, then you are probably ok).  When you start spiking downward towards 90 (or below it), that is a cause for concern (and probably adjustments to your therapy).  A normal person's average SPO2 for the entire night should be around 95 or 96 (or possibly even a bit higher than that). 

2nd - HR - Narcil just posted a chart recently that showed concern should definitely begin if HR gets above 100 or below 40.  Average HR is around 60 to 70 or so.  Some variation in HR during sleep is normal.  Large spikes are usually not normal though.  A smooth relatively straight line of HR data is better than one with spikes upward or downward.  

The best thing to do would be to post your SPO2 and HR data along with your OSCAR data once you get your new machine for us to look at and give more suggestions.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a sample full night from my AirSense 10 APAP and Wellue SleepU oximeter.

[Image: screenshot-20240412-195714.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your SPO2 in this OSCAR charts looks ok IMO. It doesn't drop too low.   Also, your HR looks ok also.  Nice and largely smooth channel.  Not many spike, but a few large spikes.  

I am glad that you included your movement chart here also.  Lots of movement during the night.  Several large spikes.  Could be PLM's or arousals or something?  I am not sure.  How rested did you feel when you got up in the morning?  Your large spikes in HR line up with your large movement spikes.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2024, 04:04 PM)Jay51 Wrote: Lots of movement during the night.
Indeed - and I was very surprised at that. I actually added SomnoPose to my arsenal a few days later, and that clearly shows me rotating slightly at each "arousal with waking".

Quote:Several large spikes.  Could be PLM's or arousals or something?

My PSG showed I don't suffer from PLMs. These are all arousals - some with waking but most without.

Quote:How rested did you feel when you got up in the morning?

Well rested. I felt I had a pretty good night, though I had 9 awakenings.

Quote:Your large spikes in HR line up with your large movement spikes.

Yes, though actually the HR spikes are generally about 10-20s after the arousal (as seen in the detailed flow waveform) and subsequent movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything else on the chart you posted looks good IMO also.  0.03 95% flow limitations (good).  Good minute ventilation and tidal volume and respiratory rate, etc.  I think you are pretty much optimized on your current machine as far as getting therapy with your current settings also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:....that clearly shows me rotating slightly at each "arousal with waking".

Damn - what I actually meant was each "arousal withOUT waking" makes me subconsciously turn a little. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to, try to do a 3 minute zoom on maybe 2 or 3 places in your OSCAR chart where your movement chart spikes straight up.  Maybe start 30 seconds directly before it and have it about 3 minutes long.  Just click with the cursor on your OSCAR where you want to start this zoom close up and drag the cursor to the right for a 3 minute section, and then upload it here.  It might give some clues as to what is happening.  Kind of like looking at it through a microscope. 

Maybe around 2:30am; 3:45am (just slightly after this); and then 5:07am or 5:08am or so.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 246 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 298 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,261 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 200 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 4 241 09-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Caked Residue In CPAP Water Reservoir, Is It Normal? Kamryn 3 207 08-30-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Is it normal for Resmed 10 blowing noise to be very noticable at high pressure >13 snortle 4 242 08-29-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.