Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Stopped Recording; Due to Large Leak with new FFM?
CPAP Stopped Recording; Due to Large Leak with new FFM?
Last night, I tried using a ResMed F30i for the first time, after trying N30 cushions for the past year or two. However, the machine stopped recording for 3 hours starting just after midnight, and I don't know why. Any ideas? 

I did not take my mask off or turn off the CPAP during this time period. 

(There is a 2-min gap around 3:17am, which  I did turn it off and go to the bathroom.) 

If the leak exceeds a certain threshold, do ResMed CPAPs just stop recording data? 

Due to other advice on this forum, I've recently adjusted my settings and increased my pressure, and my AHI and RERAs have greatly improved. However, I persistently vent out through my mouth at any pressure above 6, hence my decision to try a FFM. The venting often wakes me up. 

Subjectively, I felt much better last night. Objectively, my HRV was significantly above my baseline (great!). My SpO2 did drop for the same time period as this missing data (bad!).  

Other questions: 
  1. Since I subjectively felt better, should I worry about the amount of Large Leaks? 
  2. Any tips for limiting leaks? I didn't feel/hear much leaking, but apparently they were there. When I settle on a mask, I can try RemZzzs liners. 
  3. Any other observations or comments about my experience or Oscar? 
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Stopped Recording; Due to Large Leak with new FFM?
Thank you for posting that.  These are the worst leaks that I have personally ever seen.  80% of the time you are over the acceptable leak limit.  24L/min is the cut off line for acceptable leaks.  

Here are some tips for mask leaks.  If you can get the leaks down, your data will become more reliable.  Mask Primer
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Jay51. 

I don't understand why the leaks are so bad. I feel like I would have noticed that the leaks were so bad. Are masks ever bad or vent too much? 

I ask b/c I just tested this mask wide awake. I do have a very short beard. It still showed leaks, even when I was pushing on it to be as tight as possible. 

I could always tell when I had a leak with my nasal cushion. However, this has so many vents, I wonder if the machine is considering some of the vents as leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll bet you could be feeling much better than the “good enough” right now.

Eek! You’re exhaling like a dragon; air must be flying like blazes out of your mouth. Your unit can’t be giving you any therapy. Thus, the low AHI. In fact, it gets to a point when your unit can’t sense you at the other end of the hose. That’s the big gap.

So, there’s no way to evaluate settings, until you control leaks. Do you happen to have an FFM on hand? Depending, it may be a good idea to learn how to control leaks with an FFM; at least air wouldn’t be pouring out of your mouth unhindered. Then, keep working at it. Ask folks for ideas. When you’re squared away in a week or two, post some new Oscars, exactly to spec.

Anything you learn about leaks will be a transferable skill to use with any other mask. Yep, it’s a skill to minimize mask leaks.

I use an F40. It’s quite minimal. For me, it’s low leak. I even discovered lately that I can wipe my face with a mask wipe, and it sticks to my chin super well. I also use a cervical collar, because I don’t like a dry mouth. It also helps with leaks. But get more tips! Look up lankylefty on YouTube…

PS your unit is not considering vents as leaks. It knows the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 254 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,270 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 204 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 538 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 286 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Why so many large leaks? Pogo007 3 319 08-12-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Pogo007
  [CPAP] Should I focus on fixing leak, pressure, mask fit? costis 3 333 08-11-2024, 03:44 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.