Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One Night of Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
One Night of Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
I have one strange night of data and am wondering if others have anomalies like this or if this could be a concern.  I have been on CPAP for several years now.  My AHI averages about 3 with most being "Clear Airway".  On a recent trip trip, I had one night with an AHI of 19 with a Cheyne Stokes Respiration of 22%.  See chart.  We were staying at 8200 feet but the next night at the same elevation looked fine.  Other nights in the 5000 to 6500 range also looked fine...or normal for me.  What could cause this?  I felt OK.     

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One Night of Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
It seems like a one-off situation IMO.  The first night in a very high altitude.  The CSR stats imported into OSCAR from Resmed machines are false flags the vast majority of the time it seems (from seeing many of them here at ApneaBoard).  

Your plan seems fairly simple IMO.  Continue to monitor for further CSR.  If none, or minimal, then most likely no action required.  If CSR become more frequent in the future, you can always present some OSCAR charts to your PCP or Cardiologist or Pulmonologist, etc. and get clarification.  There is a bit of interpretation to CSR.  

CSR is most associated with Heart Failure.  No heart failure diagnosis I assume, correct?  No other major heart issues?  Lung issues could possibly contribute also as could Neurological problems.  To correctly diagnose CSR, the entire "big picture" needs to looked at (the OSCAR's, medical history, location of CSR - yours were the first night at a very high elevation).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you're diagnosed with heart failure, it's likely false flags. CSR isn't something you'd have and not know something isn't right.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.  I have no heart issues.  However, thinking back I did have one other odd experience. Soon after starting CPAP, I took a trip without the machine.  I stayed at about 8000 feet and was wearing a ViHealth O2 ring.  The ring seemed to alarm constantly so I ended up taking it off so I could sleep.  Without the machine at home, I would get alarms but nothing like the night at 8000 feet.  I have stayed other nights at elevations like that with CPAP and no abnormal numbers so maybe it is just an anomaly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Missing Apneas or Cheyne Stokes? Westernsleep 2 89 Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Coberson75 3 112 Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Coberson75
  New to CPAP - have 3 instances of Cheyne-Stokes aussienana 62 2,013 08-23-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: aussienana
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 253 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Cheyne Stokes Respiration? pen123 27 4,045 08-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  Could this be Cheyne Stokes? jr991 3 230 07-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  Cheynes Stokes - is that what this screen shot shows? liz0859 12 483 06-22-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: liz0859

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.