Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask
Cool 
Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask
Hello

I wanted to share some success after I switched from a full face mask to a nasal mask. I've added my overview below, going back about 3 months. First 2 months on the chart I was using a F&P Vitera full face (as originally prescribed). About a month ago I switched to a ResMed Airfit N20 small.

My first home sleep study AHI was in the 30's, in October 2022. I was incorrectly prescribed CPAP, and the moment Sleeprider saw the charts (in Dec) he told me I needed ASV - thank you again! Changing jobs and insurance etc. meant I didn't start using an ASV until May of 2023.

AHI did improve a lot, down to a range of 3-7, but I can't say I felt comfortable at night. I'm a back sleeper and when my jaw relaxed the Vitera mask would leak no matter how tight or loose. I couldn't tolerate any kind of jaw support like a neck collar or the Kensington head contraption. Aerophagia was also a problem I couldn't eliminate. I was mouth-taping from the very start.

Then I started exploring a nasal mask and ordered one after reading some posts here. The sizing chart for the Resmed Airfit said I was a small and I was a bit skeptical of that at first, but it's been working for me for a month now.

AHI has improved significantly - now less than 1. Aerophagia is much better but not quite gone. And the nasal is just so much more comfortable to wear (less face marks in the morning!) and more tolerant of moving around when sleeping. As a result my usage is up a bit; from ~6.5 hours a night up to 7.5 hours a night average for November.

So, once again, many thanks to the people on the forum who have helped me, directly by responding to my posts, or indirectly by sharing their stories so others can learn.

And I hope this post will give some comfort to anyone who is struggling. I can't say I was really struggling, but I knew I could improve things. So if you are in your first year of CPAP and you're not dialled in yet, keep trying, it can be done. You just need to be willing to make changes to see what works.

Here are my charts - I'm not looking for advice really but if you want to share your thoughts feel free.

Vitera Full Face in September - AHI 3.25, a typical night

Airfit N20 nasal in November - AHI 0.00. Doesn't happen every night but it's nice to hit the "gold standard".

Overview August to November

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask
Congrats on the success. I don't see anything to edit, just keep repeating this. Unfortunately you can't go negative AHI, so zero is the best there is.

Signed a former ASV user. My Emphysema COPD means fight for years to get something more appropriate to my overlap syndrome.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask
I remember last year you were failing on CPAP and managed to get ASV approved. Now with nasal therapy, you have discovered the benefits of air-control and less volume in the air circuit. I hope you will stick around to help others, because what you have accomplished is what this site is all about. You're willing to try new things and experiment to make them work. Great job! Spread the word.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal pillows v nasal mask FLcracker 10 335 10-01-2024, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Doublereeder2
  Switched to BIPAP JRTO808 7 223 09-27-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 19 1,537 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 156 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  My dad's first full night data, is it concerning? (many CAs) EveryBreatheUTake 4 259 09-22-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: EveryBreatheUTake
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,392 663,727 09-19-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 371 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.