Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Change in Results
Sudden Change in Results
            Hello. If anyone can help I'd appreciate any input on a sudden change in my recent therapy results. I have been using my machine for 5-6 months. I have no problems with compliance and results were good up until recently (average AHI about 1.3). My sleep test was 5.8 AHI, 15.8 RDI after adding in RERA. I was diagnosed with OSA as most of my events during sleep study were obstructive hypopneas and RERA. The only apnea during my sleep study was central.  During use of my machine nearly all events have been classed as central apneas. My doctor said not to worry about them at that level. Recently, however, they have increased substantially and last night was AHI 13.8, virtually all shown as central apneas. My doctor reduced EPR from 3 to 1 two nights ago as a result of the increasing trend but last night was my worst result yet. I wore a pulse oximeter and my oxygen was dropping rapidly from 98 by 8 points to usually around 90 and then recovering after a minute or two after waking. My thoughts are whether this is positional because I could not feel air from the machine unless I lifted my head stretching my neck fully and holding it above the pillow (a cpap pillow on a wedge one) and holding it c 45 degrees. I was having large hypnic jerks even at times when my stats looked fine - I guess my body just didnt want to let me sleep. My pressure range has been 5-8 but often the machine seemed to be operating at the low end of that.

I have managed to download Oscar and have attached a screenshot (i couldnt quite get the snore part to show). I hope this helps and would be grateful for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Change in Results
there is little evidence that PA causes CSA even if there are few cases, like this one. do you sleep on your back?

maybe try cpap mode see if it helps? i would try 7cm epr off, epr usually make CAs worse.

i would show this to your doctor, focusing on how you feel the next day. that seems like too many CAs to ignore but i'm no doc Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
If you weren't feeling pressure due to your head position you may need more pressure to overcome the obstruction happening. When you got your AHI diagnosis were you supine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you now have incredibly high CAs. If you would post a redacted copy of your sleep study we might be better able to advise you.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Unathletico Smile

Pressure is too low and the CAs are likely a result of this pressure issue, please set min pressure to 8cm and max pressure to 15cm and move the PAP mode from for her to standard. Also is EPR on, we can't tell because your charts are cut off. I agree with Narcil that you should try cpap (fixed pressure) soon too, once we see how your charts look at the settings above and what it does to your CA events we can move on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also if you started a new medication that can increase them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 92 Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [CPAP] Oscar results - How can I improve on this further? nomosnow 4 212 09-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,400 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Confusing WatchPAT One results jordybug 1 115 08-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improve stabilize results jquintero 3 201 08-29-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jquintero
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Results of first night with CPAP machine dnserror 1 158 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Just got my first sleep test results. BigRedDoc 0 124 08-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: BigRedDoc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.