Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Recent Jump in Events
Sudden Recent Jump in Events
Hello! I recently found this board and it has been very helpful and informative. I got the OSCAR software set up last week and it is so helpful to know the details beyond just the AHI number.

I was diagnosed with severe OSA back in May this year and was prescribed the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with pressure range 6-14 and EPR = 2, using nasal pillows (I have pretty bad sinus congestion but somehow these still work?). For the first couple of months I was doing fairly consistently, with AHI around 3. The summary stats show they were mostly Clear Airway events (no OSCAR data until late July sadly).

When I was on the range 6-14, the 95% mark was around 11. That range was giving me pretty bad aerophagia, so my doctor decreased the range to 6-10 (this was on July 17). Since then, the aerophagia has been a lot better, but I am wondering if the recent change in range is the reason for my increase in AHI.

In the past week, the AHI value has been mostly above 4, going as high as 7.78. I haven't seen 7 since maybe the second week I started therapy, so I am kind of concerned. I don't recall making any major changes to my sleeping arrangement, but I did muck around a bit with EPR (but for the past few days everything was changed back to how it was before these episodes started).

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

July 21

July 25

July 29

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Recent Jump in Events
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Maybe I missed it, but are you aware you can change settings on your CPAP machine yourself? Get your CPAP setup manual for your machine.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

The pattern of the latter 2 charts looks like Positional Apnea. This is not sleeping on your back, side, etc. However, it's all about your head and neck alignment, placing them into a restricted airway state. Get an image of this: you're in your Lazy Boy recliner watching the news why you fall asleep. Your head flops forward, kinking off the airway while you're sawing a forest. Take away the recliner aspect, with the head flop aspect remaining. Do you do this in bed? OSCAR says maybe.

Since this is external, you'll need an external block, a soft cervical collar to prevent this from happening. Look this Positional Apnea up in the wiki. If this sounds like you, consider the collar.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help pacc815 15 407 09-06-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 10 282 09-06-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Unflagged events, treatment ineffective slatejetpack 4 123 09-05-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 150 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question Help w/ Oscar Data (recent mask switch) cpapillon 3 103 09-05-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: cpapillon
  Persistent CA events and fatigue with low-ish AHI ATT9791 11 561 08-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 0 154 08-26-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: zood

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.