Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too much pressure has diminishing returns?
RE: Too much pressure has diminishing returns?
(09-17-2024, 11:32 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: Some of the 99.99999% just died early.

Agree. Or they sunk into Dementia / Alzheimer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2024, 11:09 AM)Nightynite Wrote: The one thing I noticed it’s easy to get baited into using the med. pressure to set your starting pressure.   If you do that and then the very next night the med. pressure will be a little higher and then you take the bait and adjust again.   Pretty soon you’re adjusted to the increase but you don’t really need it.

I have the opposite experience. When I tune down the minimum pressure or pressure support, the overall average pressure throughout the night increases because the device responds to the flow limitation with a pressure increase and pressure spikes. 

Hence, if you really want to control your pressure and tune it down, you need to reduce your maximum pressure. Then, you enter a high flow limit regime during the night, and I do not want to have fun with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I observed a couple of years into my CPAP journey that, for some reason, there was a 'sweet spot' for me in terms of AHI. If I recall correctly, it was around 4-5. When I scored thus, for some inexplicable reason, I felt better than when I scored higher - or lower. I couldn't explain it and so continued to chase low AHI before more or less giving up on the tuning side of things. This thread has caused me to consider tweaking again, reducing max pressure till I land in that mysterious sweet spot again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this myself. I titrated myself to clinical perfection.

At CPAP mode, 13.6 cm, nose pillows, no ramp, epr 3, humidity auto my numbers were absolute perfection.

Flow limits 0.0, even the 95%, Snore 0.0, AHI 0.0, Leaks 0.0 and the curve of my inspirations had a beautiful round peak. Amazing results.

But my sleep quality was horrendous. Even if i slept all night 7-8h i woke up feeling like i did in my younger years in the military when we was awake for 2-3 days while napping under a cold wet tree. I was ruinied.

Taking away epr helped a lot. But to keep flow limitaions kinda ok i kept it at 1. And now im on APAP 10-13. Medain is usually around 10 and max never hits 13 even on narcotic sleep pills and alcohol.

My ahi range from 0.0 to at worst 3. The data in Oscar is much much worse, but still within reason. My sleep quality is much better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Z2 pressure vs Airsense11 pressure jwalker5 2 183 08-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jwalker5
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 21,351 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 1,267 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 812 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,885 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 4,012 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,684 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.